How Is Heat Transport in a Rod Influenced by Its Radius and Material Properties?

In summary: Can you please clarify. In summary, the equation for the temperature gradient at location x is $$\frac{dT}{dx}=-(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}$$
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

show ## \rho c_m \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x^2} -\frac{2}{a}R(T)##
where ##R(T)=A(T-T_0) ##

a) Obtain an expression for T as a function of x for the case of an infinitely long rod whose hot end has temperature ##T_m##
b) Show that the heat that can be transported away by a long rod of radius a is proportional to ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##, provided A is independent of a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so for part a) I got
##T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a}}x}##

Then for b) I thought that the rate of heat transfer will be ##2 \pi a R(T)## but this gives something that is proportional to a not ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
a) is not right. Is your exponential term dimensionally correct?
b) 2πaR(T) is the rate per unit length. What do you get when you integrate it over x?

Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

show ## \rho c_m \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x^2} -\frac{2}{a}R(T)##
where ##R(T)=A(T-T_0) ##

a) Obtain an expression for T as a function of x for the case of an infinitely long rod whose hot end has temperature ##T_m##
b) Show that the heat that can be transported away by a long rod of radius a is proportional to ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##, provided A is independent of a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so for part a) I got
##T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a}}x}##

Then for b) I thought that the rate of heat transfer will be ##2 \pi a R(T)## but this gives something that is proportional to a not ##a^{\frac{3}{2}}##

Many thanks in advance
What is the temperature gradient at x = 0? If you multiply this by the cross sectional area and thermal conductivity, what do you get for the rate of heat flow into the rod?

mjc123 said:
a) is not right. Is your exponential term dimensionally correct?
b) 2πaR(T) is the rate per unit length. What do you get when you integrate it over x?
Sorry, i just typed this wrong my answer is $$T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a\kappa}x}}$$

integrating over x i get the rate of heat loss is $$2\pi \sqrt{\frac{\kappa}{2A}}a^{\frac{3}{2}} (T_m - T_0)(e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{a\kappa}l}}-1)$$ Does this seem right

The question then asks for what l is this approximation valid. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you decided not to follow the approach I suggested in post #3. So, I guess I'll answer my own questions.

The corrected equation for the temperature is: $$T=T_0 +(T_m-T_0)e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}x}$$
The temperature gradient at location x is $$\frac{dT}{dx}=-(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}e^{-\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}x}$$
So the temperature gradient at x = 0 is: $$\frac{dT}{dx}=-(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A}{\kappa a}}$$
So the heat flux at x = 0 is: $$q(0)=-\kappa\left(\frac{dT}{dx}\right)_{x=0}=(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A\kappa}{ a}}$$
So the rate of heat loss is: $$Q=\pi a^2q(0)=\pi a^2(T_m-T_0)\sqrt{\frac{2A\kappa}{ a}}$$This is proportional to ##a^{3/2}##

Your answer in post #4 is not consistent with this.

1. What is the heat equation and what does it represent?

The heat equation is a mathematical model that describes how heat is transferred over time in a given system. It represents the relationship between temperature, time, and heat distribution in a physical system.

2. How is the heat equation solved?

The heat equation is solved using mathematical methods such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical techniques like finite difference or finite element methods.

3. What are the applications of the heat equation?

The heat equation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and meteorology. It is used to model heat transfer in objects, analyze the behavior of materials under different temperatures, and predict the weather.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving the heat equation?

The boundary conditions for solving the heat equation include the initial temperature distribution, the geometry of the system, and the material properties. These conditions are necessary to determine a unique solution to the equation.

5. What are the limitations of the heat equation?

The heat equation assumes that the physical system is homogeneous, isotropic, and in a steady state. It also does not account for heat generation or convection, which can limit its accuracy in certain applications.