Solve Your Seating Dilemma: Easy Math Solution for Large Groups - 963/8=120.4

• Thread starter t3rom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, struggling with simple math problems is common and can be caused by a variety of factors such as a lack of understanding, difficulty with mental math, or a learning disability. To improve math skills, regular practice and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can be beneficial. When unable to solve a math problem, it's important to seek assistance from a teacher or classmate. Having a fear of math is also a common experience, and it can be overcome by identifying the root of the fear and seeking help and regular practice.
t3rom
I can't figure out how to calculate the number of people who can't be seated. For those who can be seated I simply did 963/8=120.4

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to the homework section.

How do .4 persons look like?
Without further details, that problem statement looks really odd. Are we supposed to fill every pavilion with the same number of persons (why??)? If yes, there is a reasonable answer, but then the problem statement should make that clear.

Likes t3rom
If we assume that the same number of people must be seated in each pavilion (which is not said and really doesn't make much sense), then the number of number of people that can be seated in each pavilion is 963/8. 8 divides 963 120 times with 963- 8(120) people left over.

(By the way, 963/8 is NOT "120.4". It is 120.375. The difference is important to this problem.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes t3rom
Hallsoflvy, does that mean 3 people can't be seated?

With this additional assumption, yes.

Likes t3rom
@t3rom: What is it about this problem that prevented you from stating it here rather than posting an image of it?

mfb said:
With this additional assumption, yes.

Thanks!

LCKurtz said:
@t3rom: What is it about this problem that prevented you from stating it here rather than posting an image of it?

I'm posting from a cellphone, that's the best way I could post it.

My point about 963 divided by 8 being 120.375 rather than 120.4 was that 0.375 is 3 eighths. I am puzzled at your difficulty here, you realized that 8 divides into 963 120 with quotient 120 and remainder 3, didn't you? Or does no one learn how to divide without using a calculator any more?

t3rom said:
I'm posting from a cellphone, that's the best way I could post it.
Well, I wouldn't say it was the best way. It was the easiest way for you to post it. Perhaps next time you should post from a computer it you're too lazy to type a few sentences into a cell phone.

Related to Solve Your Seating Dilemma: Easy Math Solution for Large Groups - 963/8=120.4

1. Why do I struggle with simple math problems?

There could be a variety of reasons why someone may struggle with simple math problems. Some possible reasons could include a lack of understanding of basic math concepts, difficulty with mental math, or a learning disability.

2. How can I improve my math skills?

One way to improve math skills is to practice regularly. This could include doing math problems on a daily basis, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, or using online resources and practice exercises.

3. What should I do if I can't figure out a math problem on my own?

If you are struggling with a math problem, it's important to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. They may be able to provide clarification or offer a different approach to solving the problem.

4. Is it normal to struggle with simple math problems?

Struggling with math problems is a common experience for many people. It's important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it's okay to ask for help when needed.

5. How can I overcome my fear of math?

If you have a fear of math, try to identify the root of your fear. It could be helpful to talk to a teacher or counselor about your concerns and work together to find strategies that can help you feel more confident in your math abilities. Additionally, regular practice and seeking help when needed can also help to alleviate fears and improve math skills.