Solving the Biodiesel Reactor Heating System Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses a project to build a biodiesel reactor and the process of determining the best diameter for the heating system's loop of pipe. The equations and calculations used to solve for the diameter are mentioned, along with the issue of discrepancies in values compared to a similar working device. Suggestions are given to compare the values and find the discrepancy in order to find the correct diameter for the pipe.
atlamillia
After typing all of that out, I think I got it, thanks!

Homework Statement

I am working on a project to build a biodiesel reactor. The heating system of said reactor is provided by a loop of pipe containing a pump (1 HP, 36 litres per minute (9.5 gal), 50m max head (164 ft)), a hot water heater, and approximately 141 in of pipe including 5 90 degree bends.

The loop of pipe begins at the pump, which is at y = 0, and travels through the hot water heater (also y = 0), then goes up about 50in to the inside of the oil heating tank (y = 50), and down 50in to the pump again.

I am trying to solve for the best diameter for the pipe in this situation.

Homework Equations

Form of Bernoulli equation:
(p1/rho + alpha1*v1^2/2 + gz1) - (p2/rho + alpha2*v2^2/2 + gz2) = head loss total

head loss is sum of major and minor losses
major = f*L/D*v^2/2
minor = f*L(equivalent)/D*v^2/2

Where
p1, p2 are pressures in psi
rho = density of water
v1, v2, v = velocity (found from V = Q/A, where Q is pump flow rate and A is area of pipe cross section) in in/s
g = 386 in/s^2
z1, z2 = change in height
alpha1, alpha2 = kinetic energy coefficient
D = diameter (in)
f = friction factor

The Attempt at a Solution

The diameter must be solved for using iteration.
Choosing a diameter of 1 inch (which is what is expected to work based on other systems I've observed) I calculate the various information I will need to put in the Bernoulli and head loss equations. The objective is to compare pressure difference given by the Bernoulli equation to the maximum pressure the pump can provide (therefore the equation is being solved for the pressure difference across the pump, and the entire loop of pipe).

For the Bernoulli equation, the velocity terms cancel out because the velocity does not change throughout. The height terms also cancel out because the fluid goes up the same amount as it goes down during the course of the loop (this is the part I'm not sure about!). This leaves the pressure difference over density on the Bernoulli side.

For the head loss side, I need f, V, L, and L(equivalent).
I attempt to use a Moody chart to find f. The chart suggests I'd be ok using the laminar approximation, so my f is Re/64, or about 0.0022.
V is Q/A, so Q = 9.5gal/min*1min/60s*231in^3/gal and A = pi/4*(1)^2
V = 46.6in/s
L is given to be about 141 inches.
The L(equivalent) is the number of bends times the equivalent length of a 90 degree turn, or 5*30 = 150 inches.

Therefore
delta-p/rho = f/D * V^2/2(L + L(equivalent))
delta-p/.036 = 0.0022/1 * 46.6^2/2(291)
delta-p = 25 psi

The maximum pressure provided by the pump is given by the equation
delta-p = rho*delta-head = 1.8*164 = 5.9 psi

I had to increase the size of the pipe vastly through iteration in order to get the pressures to match. Where could I be going wrong? I know that a 1 in pipe is working in a similar device already.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you did a good job with the equations and calculations. The issue seems to be with the values you are using. You mentioned that a 1 inch pipe is already working in a similar device. Compare the values of the pump flow rate (Q), area of pipe cross section (A), velocity (V), friction factor (f), total length (L) and equivalent length (L(equivalent)) of this working device to the values you used in your calculations. This will help you find where the discrepancy is coming from.

1. What is a biodiesel reactor heating system?

A biodiesel reactor heating system is a system used to heat the reactants in a biodiesel production process. It is crucial in the conversion of raw materials into biodiesel fuel.

2. Why is solving the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle important?

Solving the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle is important because it allows for efficient and cost-effective production of biodiesel fuel. It ensures that the reactants are heated to the optimal temperature, resulting in a higher yield of biodiesel.

3. What are some common challenges in solving the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle?

Some common challenges in solving the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle include finding the right heating method, determining the appropriate temperature and heating duration, and maintaining consistent heating throughout the process.

4. How do scientists approach solving the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle?

Scientists approach solving the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle by conducting experiments and analyzing data to determine the most effective heating method and parameters. They also utilize mathematical models and simulations to optimize the system and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

5. What are some potential solutions to the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle?

Potential solutions to the biodiesel reactor heating system puzzle include using alternative heating methods such as microwaves or infrared radiation, implementing automated temperature control systems, and improving heat transfer efficiency through the design and materials used in the reactor. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the system can also help to prevent and solve any issues that may arise.