Find fluid velocity in pipes

In summary, the problem involves flow in three pipes with the same length, friction factor, and on the same horizontal level. The pipes have different diameters, with the two parallel pipes having a diameter that is half the first pipe. The pressure at the outlet of the parallel pipes is equal to atmospheric pressure and minor losses can be neglected. Using the given information, including the density of the fluid, we can use the continuity and Bernoulli equations to find the velocities in all three pipes. To solve the problem, we can rewrite the equations to eliminate one of the unknown velocities and express it in terms of the other two.
andz

Homework Statement

Flow in a pipe splits into two parallel pipes. All three pipes have same length L, and same friction factor f. Diameter of first pipe is D. The two parallel pipes have diameter D and D/2. All three pipes are on same horizontal level. At the outlet of the two parallel pipes, the pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure. Minor losses can be neglected. The density of the fluid is constant. In this situation we can use this information: D = 0.03 meters, f = 0.02, L = 8 meters, pressure head at inlet of first pipe = 2 meters, g = 9.8 m/s^2.

I need to find the velocities in all three pipes.

Homework Equations

Continuity equation.
Bernoulli equation.
Darcy-Weisbach equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to conservation of mass, the continuity equation gives: Q1 = Q2 + Q3. This gives 1) A1V1 = A2V2 + A3V3.
Then I tried to apply bernoulli equation from inlet of the first pipe to outlet of both parallel pipes.
2) H1 - hf = H2 (H1 = total head at inlet of first pipe, hf = friction loss in pipe).
3) H1 - hf = H3

2) 2 + (V1^2)/2g - (fLV1^2)/2gD - (fLV2^2)/2gD) = (V2^2)/2g
3) 2 + (V1^2)/2g - (fLV1^2)/2gD - (fLV3^2)/2gD) = (V3^2)/2g
Is this correct so far and how do i solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Andz, :welcome:

Looks good to me so far. You have 3 equations with three unknowns. Be careful not to use D for two different diameters.
I would rewrite 2) - 3) to eliminate v32 and express it in v22.

1. How do you calculate fluid velocity in pipes?

To calculate fluid velocity in pipes, you can use the formula v = Q/A, where v is the fluid velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This formula assumes that the flow is steady, incompressible, and fully developed.

2. What is the equation for volumetric flow rate?

The equation for volumetric flow rate is Q = v x A, where Q is the volumetric flow rate, v is the fluid velocity, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of mass.

3. How do pipe diameter and fluid velocity affect each other?

As the pipe diameter decreases, the fluid velocity increases for a given volumetric flow rate. This is because the same volume of fluid needs to pass through a smaller area, resulting in a higher velocity. Similarly, if the fluid velocity increases, the pipe diameter needs to decrease to maintain the same volumetric flow rate.

4. What factors can affect fluid velocity in pipes?

The fluid velocity in pipes can be affected by the pipe diameter, fluid viscosity, fluid density, and the type of flow (laminar or turbulent). Additionally, any obstructions or changes in pipe geometry can also impact the fluid velocity.

5. How can I measure fluid velocity in pipes?

There are several methods for measuring fluid velocity in pipes, including using a flow meter, a pitot tube, or by calculating it from pressure and flow rate measurements. The most suitable method will depend on the specific application and accuracy requirements.