Solving 1 electron atom Schrodinger Equation in rectangular coordinates?

In summary, the math is horrendous in Cartesian coordinates, besides the fact that the Coulomb potential is not separable.
VulpineNinja
Hi, I'm a physics undergraduate, and I'm having trouble understanding Atomic Physics right now.

At first I thought it (the question in the title) is possible, but then I think I got confused with particle in a box. So I refer to textbooks and look for answers in the internet, and confirmed that we can only solve it by using spherical coordinates. But I couldn't find the reason why we should only use spherical coordinates, but not rectangular coordinates. My only guess is it's because atoms are said to be spherical. Am I correct?

Whether I'm right or not, can anyone elaborate this? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The math is so horrendous in Cartesian coordinates, besides the fact that the Coulomb potential is not separable.

VulpineNinja said:
Hi, I'm a physics undergraduate, and I'm having trouble understanding Atomic Physics right now.

At first I thought it (the question in the title) is possible, but then I think I got confused with particle in a box. So I refer to textbooks and look for answers in the internet, and confirmed that we can only solve it by using spherical coordinates. But I couldn't find the reason why we should only use spherical coordinates, but not rectangular coordinates. My only guess is it's because atoms are said to be spherical. Am I correct?

Whether I'm right or not, can anyone elaborate this? Thank you in advance.

Perhaps a bit more precise way to say it is that the coulomb potential between the nucleus and electrons represents a central potential in 3-D, which means that spherical coordinates are a natural representation for the single-electron problem, and the Schrodinger equation is fully separable in those coordinates. Note that for multiple electron atoms, the full potential is no longer a central potential, since there are electron-electron repulsion terms that depend inversely on the electron-electron displacement. In fact, there is no analytical solution for the energies and wavefunctions of multiple electron atoms. However, the problem can be solved approximately by expansion in a basis of 1-electron, H-atom-like states, so that representation is still useful.

It is not so important what the final solution will look like, but the Coulomb potential is spherical. So it looks much easier in spherical coordinates.

I've found the answer already, but not the elaboration.
So, thank you!

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to model the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What is the 1 electron atom?

The 1 electron atom is a simplified model of an atom that contains only one electron. It is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of electrons in an atom, as it allows for easier calculations and analysis.

3. What does it mean to solve the Schrodinger Equation in rectangular coordinates?

Solving the Schrodinger Equation in rectangular coordinates means finding the mathematical solution for the wave function of a particle in a three-dimensional coordinate system, where the x, y, and z axes are perpendicular to each other and form a rectangular shape. This allows for a more accurate description of the particle's position and movement.

4. Why is the 1 electron atom Schrodinger Equation important?

The 1 electron atom Schrodinger Equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electrons in an atom, which is essential for many fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It also serves as a basis for more complex models of atoms and molecules.

5. How is the 1 electron atom Schrodinger Equation solved?

The 1 electron atom Schrodinger Equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as the separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. The solution involves finding the wave function of the electron, which describes its probability of being in a certain location at a given time.