Solving 2D Motion Revision Homework on Pitching Speed

In summary: The first equation is for the upward part of the flight, the second is for the downward part of the flight.In summary, To determine the pitching speed of a baseball player, have them stand on a ledge and throw the ball horizontally from an elevation 3.00 m above the ground. If the ball lands 30.0 m away, the pitching speed can be calculated using the equation d = vi*t + (1/2)a*t2 and the trigonometric functions vx = vcos(5) and vy = +/- vsin(5). However, if the pitches vary from 5° below horizontal to 5 degrees above horizontal, the range of possible speeds can be found by solving for t in the x-equ
Cfem

Homework Statement

A baseball player friend of yours wants to determine his pitching speed. You have him stand on a ledge and throw the ball horizontally from an elevation 3.00 m above the ground. The ball lands 30.0 m away.

A) What is his pitching speed?

B) As you think about it, you’re not sure he threw the ball exactly horizontally. As you watch him throw, the pitches seem to vary from 5° below horizontal to 5 degrees above horizontal. What is the range of speeds with which the ball might have left his hand?

Homework Equations

d = vi*t + (1/2)a*t2
Trig

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem A was completed without issue. But I'm having trouble working the possible angles into the answer.

I know that vx = vcos(5) and vy = +/- vsin(5)

I tried to isolate time, given that the horizontal distance was traveled in the same time it took the ball to hit the ground (obviously...).

vx = vcos(5) = .99v
vy = -vsin(5) = .08v

dx = vcos(5)t
30 = vcos(5)t
t = 30/(vcos(5))

3 = -vsin(5) - (1/2)(9.8)(t^2)
t = sqrt((-vsin(5) - 3)/4.9)

Now I would usually set the equations equal to each other at this point, but the result system seems too messy to be done by hand, so I feel like I'm missing a much easier solution.

Is my only option to try to find the intercept for the equations? And if the ball was thrown upwards, my equations would be the same except for the negative in from of the sin portion, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The traditional procedure for dealing with this sort of thing is to solve the x-equation for t and replace t in the y-equation. The algebra is much more tractable.

Last edited:
That doesn't exactly make the math any easier.

3 = -vsin(5) - (1/2)(9.8)(302/v2cos2(5))

That doesn't exactly make the isolation of v any easier...

The equation that you have for v doesn't look right. The y equations should be

0 = 3 + v*t*sin5o-0.5*9.8*t2

0 = 3 - v*t*sin5o-0.5*9.8*t2

Either of these equations says that at t=0 the ball is at y=3 m.

1. What is 2D motion and how does it relate to pitching speed?

2D motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically represented by a horizontal and vertical axis. In the context of pitching speed, it refers to the motion of a baseball as it travels towards the batter. The speed of the pitch is affected by both the horizontal and vertical components of its motion.

2. How is pitching speed calculated in 2D motion?

Pitching speed can be calculated by dividing the distance the ball travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. In 2D motion, this calculation takes into account both the horizontal and vertical distance traveled, resulting in a more accurate measurement of the pitch's speed.

3. What factors affect pitching speed in 2D motion?

There are several factors that can affect pitching speed in 2D motion. These include the angle at which the ball is thrown, the force applied by the pitcher, air resistance, and the release point of the ball.

4. How does understanding 2D motion help in determining pitching strategies?

Understanding 2D motion can help pitchers and coaches determine the best strategies for pitching. By analyzing the trajectory and speed of the ball, they can adjust their pitching techniques to optimize their chances of throwing a strike or getting the batter to swing and miss.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving 2D motion problems related to pitching speed?

Some common mistakes when solving 2D motion problems related to pitching speed include not taking into account both the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's motion, not considering factors such as air resistance, and not using the correct units of measurement. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the appropriate equations and units for an accurate solution.