Solving a 20% Profit Problem: Bernie's Bargain Basement

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
In summary: The list price is $120. The discount price is $96. This gives the owner a 20% profit over the cost of $80.If you want to offer your customer a 20% discount on the list price and also want to make 20% above your cost, your list price must be 50% above your cost (not matter what your cost is).Okay.
zak100

Homework Statement

At bernie's Bargain basement everything is sold for 20% less than the price marked. If bernie buys radios for $80, what price should he mark them if he wants to make a 20% profit on his cost?

Homework Equations

To increase a number by K% multiply it by (1+k%)

The Attempt at a Solution

For profit he has to increase the price by 20%.
Two ways: 20/100 * (80) =16 and then 80 + 16 = 96
OR 80(1+20/100) = 80 * 1.2 = 96

Now this is the profit price but he is giving a discount of 20% also by retaining the 20 % profit. This means we have to increase the profit price by 20%
96(1.2) =115.2 but this is not correct. Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the two basis prices? Ninety-six and something times ninety-six.
zak100 said:
This means we have to increase the profit price by 20%
Are you certain?

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

At bernie's Bargain basement everything is sold for 20% less than the price marked. If bernie buys radios for $80, what price should he mark them if he wants to make a 20% profit on his cost?

Homework Equations

To increase a number by K% multiply it by (1+k%)

The Attempt at a Solution

For profit he has to increase the price by 20%.
Two ways: 20/100 * (80) =16 and then 80 + 16 = 96
OR 80(1+20/100) = 80 * 1.2 = 96

Now this is the profit price but he is giving a discount of 20% also by retaining the 20 % profit. This means we have to increase the profit price by 20%
96(1.2) =115.2 but this is not correct. Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.
I agree that $115.20 is not the correct answer.

How can you tell that this is not the correct answer ?

Hi,
I have found the profit price which is 96. Now I have to find the marked price. Then I would deduct 20% from it. Am I right?

Zulfi.

W
zak100 said:
Hi,
I have found the profit price which is 96. Now I have to find the marked price. Then I would deduct 20% from it. Am I right?

Zulfi.
What I asked was regarding how to check your answer.

Take $115.20 as the marked price.

Then Bernie knocks 20% off of that, meaning he only charges 80% of that which is $92.16 .

Therefore, Bernie's profit would be $12.16, but that is only 15.2% of $80 , so $115.20 is incorrect.I suggest:
Let x represent the marked price. Then go through the above process using x rather than $115.20. Equate the result to 0.20, i.e. 20%. Turn that into an equation. Solve for x.

I agree with SammyS. If x is the marked price, what is the price that the item is sold at (in terms of x)?

Hi,
it would be x(1-20/100) = x(0.8). This is because we have to deduct a discount of 20% from the marked price which we supposed to be x.
<
Equate the result to 0.20, i.e. 20%. >

Sorry.
What the book did is that they equated it to : 96 which I can't understand. That is they did:
96 = x (.8)
So please guide me why 20 % discount from marked price is equal to profit price??
Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
it would be x(1-20/100) = x(0.8). This is because we have to deduct a discount of 20% from the marked price which we supposed to be x.
<

Sorry.
What the book did is that they equated it to : 96 which I can't understand. That is they did:
96 = x (.8)
So please guide me why 20 % discount from marked price is equal to profit price??
Zulfi.
You got the $96 previously. Right?

Bernie wants his profit to equal 20% of his cost. That's 20% of $80 which is $16, so he must charge $96.

zak100 said:
Hi,
<

Sorry.
96 = x (.8)
Zulfi.
The list price is $120. The discount price is $96. This gives the owner a 20% profit over the cost of $80.

If you want to offer your customer a 20% discount on the list price and also want to make 20% above your cost, your list price must be 50% above your cost (not matter what your cost is).

Last edited:
Okay.
96 = x(.8)
LHS is equal to RHS

96 is the disount price.
x represents the 'marked price.
0.8 represents discount of 20%. i.e the term (1- 20/100). Because of the discount we are subtracting.

Thanks.

Zulfi.

1. How do I calculate a 20% profit increase?

To calculate a 20% profit increase, you can use the formula (Current Profit x 1.2) - Current Profit. This will give you the amount of profit needed to achieve a 20% increase.

2. What factors can contribute to a 20% profit problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to a 20% profit problem, such as rising costs, decrease in sales, or mismanagement of resources. It is important to analyze the specific factors affecting your business to determine the best solution.

3. How can I increase profits without raising prices?

One way to increase profits without raising prices is by reducing costs. This can be done through negotiating better deals with suppliers, streamlining processes, or finding more efficient ways to operate. Another option is to increase sales through marketing strategies or expanding your target audience.

4. What are some common mistakes businesses make when trying to solve a 20% profit problem?

Some common mistakes businesses make when trying to solve a 20% profit problem include focusing solely on increasing sales without considering cost-cutting measures, not analyzing the root cause of the problem, or implementing short-term solutions instead of long-term strategies.

5. How can I sustain a 20% profit increase in the long term?

To sustain a 20% profit increase in the long term, it is important to continuously analyze and adjust your business strategies. This may include regularly reviewing and adjusting prices, monitoring and reducing costs, and staying updated on industry trends and competition. It is also crucial to maintain good relationships with customers and employees to ensure continued success.