Solving a 400 Gal Linear Mixing Problem for Dioxin

In summary: The equation you are looking for is \frac{\mathrm{d} C}{\mathrm{d}t} = \frac{4gal}{min}(5ppb)-\left( \frac{2ppb}{200gal+(2gal)t}\right )C.
Yoss
Ok, first order linear mixing problem.

"A 400 gal. tank initially contains 200 gal. of water containing 2 ppb by weight of dioxin, an extremely potent carcinogen. Suppose water containing 5 ppb of dioxin flows into the top of the tank at a rate of 4 gal/min. The water in the tank is kept well mixed, and 2 gal/min are removed from the bottom of the tank. How much dioxin is in the tank when the tank is full?

Ok. Vo = 200 gal., a = 2 ppb, b = 5 ppb, e = 4 gal/min, f = 2 gal/min
(Vo = initial volume of water, a = initial amount of dioxin, b = amount of dioxin flowing in, e = rate of b, f = rate going out)
So, if Q is the amount of dioxin in the mixture at any time t,

dQ/dt + 2/(200 + 2t) = 20 (from dQ/dt + f/(Vo + (e-f)t) = be)

So, my a(t) = 2/(200+2t), r(t) = 20. u(t) = e^((int)a(t)dt),

u(t) = e^(int)(2/(200 + 2t))dt

u(t) = e^(ln|200 + 2t|) = 200 + 2t
//(int) -integral (too lazy for Latex)

So, Q(t) = 1/u(t)[(int)u(t)r(t)dt] + c/u(t)

Q(t) = 1/(200 + 2t)[(int)(200 + 2t)(20)dt] + c/(200 + 2t)

Q(t) = [1/(200 + 2t)](4000t + 20t^2) + c/(200 + 2t)

Q(t) = (20t^2 + 4000t + c)/(200 + 2t)

Ok, since Q(0) = a = 2ppb then

Q(0) = a = 2 = (c/200), so c = 400, then

Q(t) = (20t^2 + 4000t + 400)/(200 + 2t)

Now, when the tank is full (400 gal, I need the amount of dioxin, so
200 + 2t = 400, when t = 100min)

Q(100) = (20(100^2) + 4000(100) + 400)/(400)

Q(100) = 1501 ppb.

Which is a little absurd(from 2ppb initially). Also, this is wrong because the answer is 4.25ppb.

Can someone go through my math and see if I made a mistake? Because I can't seem to find what went wrong.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your starting equation is incorrect. The rate at which dioxin leaves the container is proportional to the amount of dioxin in the tank.

Incidentally, 4.25 ppb is the correct answer!

Last edited:
Tide said:
I think your starting equation is incorrect. The rate at which dioxin leaves the container is proportional to the amount of dioxin in the tank.

Incidentally, 4.25 ppb is the correct answer!

Oops, I did mean dQ/dt + (2/200 + 2t)Q = 20, but that's how I did work it out on paper and got that answer. What do you mean exactly?

Last edited:
Your notation is confusing and it would help a LOT if you would take the time to LaTeX your equations!

In any case, I find it easier to work with concentrations rather than the actual amount of contaminant. You should be able to recast your equations into this form:

[tex]\frac {dC}{dt} = \frac {R_{in}}{V}\left(C_i - C\right)[/tex]

where C(t) is the concentration of contaminant in the tank, [itex]C_i[/itex] is the concentration of the inflow, V is the volume of water in the tank which can be written as

[tex]V = V_0 + (R_{in} - R_{out})t[/tex]

The R's are the rates (constant) of flow into and out of the tank. The integration is straightforward.

Tide said:
Your notation is confusing and it would help a LOT if you would take the time to LaTeX your equations!

In any case, I find it easier to work with concentrations rather than the actual amount of contaminant. You should be able to recast your equations into this form:

[tex]\frac {dC}{dt} = \frac {R_{in}}{V}\left(C_i - C\right)[/tex]

where C(t) is the concentration of contaminant in the tank, [itex]C_i[/itex] is the concentration of the inflow, V is the volume of water in the tank which can be written as

[tex]V = V_0 + (R_{in} - R_{out})t[/tex]

The R's are the rates (constant) of flow into and out of the tank. The integration is straightforward.

Thanks Tide, I got it. Sorry about the confusing notation. I'm not too savvy in LaTeX yet, and I was sort of in a rush. Been studying all night for my exam.

I'm having an issue with this same exact problem. This is the DE that I got from the initial problem.

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} C}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{4gal}{min}(5ppb)-\left( \frac{2ppb}{200gal+(2gal)t}\right )C[/tex]

Is this anywhere close to the equation that I should be finding? I've solved the differential and obtained an enormous number for the final ppb (parts per billion) when the tank is full. I am very uncertain about how to do the math where the ppb is concerned. I am counting it as a whole number and am unsure whether I should treat it as [tex]5\times10e^{-9}[/tex] instead. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Related to Solving a 400 Gal Linear Mixing Problem for Dioxin

1. What is a 400 Gal Linear Mixing Problem for Dioxin?

A 400 Gal Linear Mixing Problem for Dioxin refers to a scientific experiment or study that involves determining the amount of dioxin present in a 400-gallon mixture using a linear mixing model. Dioxin is a toxic chemical compound that can have harmful effects on human health and the environment.

2. Why is it important to solve this problem?

Solving a 400 Gal Linear Mixing Problem for Dioxin is important because it allows us to accurately measure the amount of dioxin present in a large volume of liquid. This information is essential for understanding the potential risks and impacts of dioxin contamination and for developing effective strategies for mitigation and remediation.

3. What factors are considered when solving this problem?

When solving a 400 Gal Linear Mixing Problem for Dioxin, several factors are taken into consideration. These include the concentration of dioxin in the initial mixture, the volume of the mixture, and the dilution factor. Other factors such as the mixing process and any chemical reactions that may occur during the experiment must also be considered.

4. What methods are used to solve this problem?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a 400 Gal Linear Mixing Problem for Dioxin. These include spectrophotometry, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, and high-performance liquid chromatography. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the specific objectives and constraints of the study.

5. Can this problem be solved accurately?

Yes, this problem can be solved accurately with the right tools and techniques. However, it is important to note that there may be some limitations and uncertainties associated with the measurements and calculations involved. It is crucial to carefully consider and account for these factors to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.