The second one is a PDF file so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read it.

In summary, the equation y=[(1+y^2)^1.5]/[2(y+sqrt 3)^2] can be solved for y either numerically or by iteration. Numerically, the equation can be plotted to find where it crosses the axis. By iteration, a numerical solving method can be used to approach the solution. Algebraic methods may not be effective for solving this equation.
gimak

Homework Statement

y=[(1+y^2)^1.5]/[2(y+sqrt 3)^2]; solve for y

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use algebra to solve it, but I can't. The textbook says it can be solved numerically or by iteration. By numberically I think it means algebraically. But I don't know how to do it that way. I don't know what it means by iteration. Can you guys give me an idea of how to do it both ways?

Physics news on Phys.org
Numerically means using a computer or graphing method to find the answer. Bring the y to the right side so you have f(y)=0. Then plot it to see where f(y) crosses the axis.
Iteration to me also implies a numerical solving method that starts with a guess and moves closer to the zero until you are as close as you need to be.

Take the denominator to L.H.S and square both sides. Can you see a pattern?

gimak said:

Homework Statement

y=[(1+y^2)^1.5]/[2(y+sqrt 3)^2]; solve for y

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use algebra to solve it, but I can't. The textbook says it can be solved numerically or by iteration. By numberically I think it means algebraically. But I don't know how to do it that way. I don't know what it means by iteration. Can you guys give me an idea of how to do it both ways?

Numerically is NOT algebraically. Rather than trying to explain it I will just give a link to explanations that others have already written out. See
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/61677.html or
http://cfd.mace.manchester.ac.uk/twiki/pub/Main/TimCraftNotes_All_Access/cfd1-numanal.pdf

1. How do I approach solving a complex equation?

The first step is to identify the type of equation you are dealing with. Is it linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.? This will determine the method you will use to solve it. Then, make sure you have all the necessary information and variables. Finally, follow the appropriate steps for solving the specific type of equation.

2. Can you provide an example of solving a complex equation step by step?

Yes, for example, to solve a linear equation such as 3x + 4 = 10, you would first isolate the variable by subtracting 4 from both sides to get 3x = 6. Then, divide both sides by 3 to get x = 2. For a quadratic equation, such as x^2 + 3x - 4 = 0, you would use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Plug in the values for a, b, and c to solve for x.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a complex equation?

If you get stuck, take a step back and review the steps you have already taken. Double check your work and make sure you have not made any simple mistakes. If you are still stuck, try looking for similar examples or asking for help from a teacher or tutor.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tips for solving complex equations more efficiently?

Yes, there are some common techniques that can help you solve equations more efficiently. For example, when solving linear equations, it can be helpful to use the distributive property to simplify expressions. For quadratic equations, you can use factoring or completing the square to make solving easier.

5. Can complex equations have more than one solution?

Yes, some equations may have multiple solutions or no solutions at all. For example, a quadratic equation can have two solutions, one solution, or no real solutions depending on the value of the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac). It is important to check your solutions and make sure they satisfy the original equation.