Solving a differential to show the homogeneity of space.

In summary: The final equation should be:*edited to correct sign error*##\left( \frac{ r(2kr)f^2 }{r^2 f^2 } - \frac{ f + f^2}{r^2 f^2 }\right) =C
stephen cripps

Homework Statement

The final part of the problem I am trying to solve requires the proof of the following equation:
[tex]\frac{d}{dr}(\frac{rf'(r)-f(r)+f^2(r)}{r^2 f^2(r)})=0[/tex][/B]

Homework Equations

I've been given the ansatz:
[tex]f(r)=(1-kr^2)^{-1}[/tex]
leading to
[tex]f'(r)=2krf^2(r)[/tex]
[tex]f''(r)=2kf^2(r)+8(kr)^2f^3(r)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the quotient rule on the first equation and cancelling some terms and the denominator gets me to:
[tex](rf)^2(rf''+2ff')-(rf'-f+f^2)(2rf^2+2r^2ff')=0[/tex]
Expanding, cancelling and subbing in for f' & f'' leads me to:
[tex]2kr^3f^4+8k^2r^5f^5+2rf^3-2rf^4-4kr^4f^3=0[/tex]

I have tried subbing in the ansatz value for f, but I still can't get the terms to cancel out. Would anybody be able to point out where I've made a mistake/ what I've missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to start with your ansatz, then the problem looks like:
## \frac{d}{dr}\left( \frac{ r(2kr)f^2 - f + f^2}{r^2 f^2 }\right) =0 ##
Which could just as well be written as:
##\left( \frac{ r(2kr)f^2 - f + f^2}{r^2 f^2 }\right) =C ##
Separate the fractions and you have: *edited to correct sign error*
##\left( \frac{ r(2kr)f^2 }{r^2 f^2 } + \frac{ -f + f^2}{r^2 f^2 }\right) =C ##
That first fraction is clearly a constant...do some algebra on the second...and I think you might find your solution.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Ah thanks! I've got there now. On the solution sheet they seem to suggest a different method using f''(r) but don't show it explicitly but this definitely seems valid. (Though I think the + should be a - in your third equation after splitting the fraction.)

I agree on both points. I was hasty in splitting the fractions and it did sound like the problem was enticing you to take the complicated derivative.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor.

3. How does solving a differential equation show the homogeneity of space?

Solving a differential equation can help show the homogeneity of space by showing that a physical system is unchanged under certain transformations, such as translations or rotations. This indicates that the laws of physics are the same everywhere in space, making space homogenous.

4. What is homogeneity of space?

Homogeneity of space refers to the concept that the properties of space, such as physical laws and measurements, are the same at any point in space. This means that there is no preferred location or direction in space.

5. Why is it important to show the homogeneity of space?

Showing the homogeneity of space is important because it is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it. It allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of physical systems without having to take into account location or direction within space.