Solving a Physics Problem: Sphere Bouncing on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation is discussing a scenario where a small sphere is dropped from a vertical distance and bounces on an inclined plane without losing any energy. The question is asking about the direction of movement after the impact and the distance traveled down the plane. The conversation suggests using equations of motion and considering the angle of inclination of the plane to find the answers.
bon

Homework Statement

A small sphere is released from rest and after falling a vertical distance h freely under gravity, bounces on a smooth inclined plane ( at an angle theta less than 90 degrees to hotizontal ). Given that there is no energy loss on impact, in what direction will it move after impact? Show the dist. down the plane between this impact and the next is 8hsintheta..

Homework Equations

Not sure?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess you choose axis parallel and perp to the plane..but I am not sure what to do next..? Confused :S Which equations/physical principles can I use? Do i write equations of motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
For elastic collisions you know - Angle and velocity of incidence = Angle and velocity of reflection
If you find this angle then resolve acc. due to gravity and use kinematical eqns. for distance.

So when it says - in what direction will it move directly after impact..is this the same angle wrt the plane as it approaches?

Could you explain in slightly more detail please?

Thanks!

You would have to relate it to the angle of inclination of the plane.
A little effort would show that they are equal.You can then proceed with the kinematic eqns.

Related to Solving a Physics Problem: Sphere Bouncing on an Inclined Plane

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of the sphere on the inclined plane?

The acceleration of the sphere can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2) and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the speed of the sphere?

The speed of the sphere is directly proportional to the angle of the inclined plane. This means that as the angle increases, the speed of the sphere will also increase.

3. How do I determine the maximum height that the sphere will reach on the inclined plane?

The maximum height can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/(2g), where v is the initial velocity of the sphere and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

4. Can I use the conservation of energy principle to solve this problem?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle can be applied to this problem. The total mechanical energy (kinetic + potential) remains constant throughout the motion of the sphere on the inclined plane.

5. How do I account for friction in this problem?

To account for friction, you can use the formula Ff = μmgcosθ, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the sphere, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.