Solving a Repeating Decimal: 0.45454545...

• Thread starter a_ng116
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to express a repeating decimal as an infinite series and find the sum of the series. The suggested approach is to set the decimal as the sum of fractions with a common denominator, then use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series. The final result is 5/11.
a_ng116
If you have a repeating decimal such as 0.45454545... and the question was asking for it to be expressed as an infinite series and find the sum of the series, would it be correct to approach it like this:

[tex] 0.45454545... = \frac {45}{100}+ \frac{45}{10000} + \frac{45}{1000000}...[/tex]

so [tex] a=\frac{45}{100} [/tex] and [tex] r=\frac {1}{100} or 0.01 [/tex]

then using [tex] S_\infty= \frac {a}{1-r} [/tex]

i get: [tex] = \frac {45/100} {1-0.01} = \frac {5}{11} [/tex]

I think this is right but I'm not sure...any thoughts? Please and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Works for me.

You can check your answer by, for example, doing the division to see what comes up.

Your answer is certainly right. Remember the Algebra I approach to this problem:

x = .45...

100x = 45.45...

100x - x = 45.45... - .45...

99x = 45

x = 45/99 = 5/11

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Related to Solving a Repeating Decimal: 0.45454545...

What is a repeating decimal?

A repeating decimal is a decimal number that contains a repeating pattern of digits after the decimal point. This pattern can continue infinitely, but is usually represented by placing a horizontal line or a dot above the repeating digits.

How do you solve a repeating decimal?

To solve a repeating decimal, you can use a variety of methods such as long division, converting it to a fraction, or using the bar notation to represent the repeating pattern. The method used will depend on the specific decimal and the desired level of precision in the solution.

Can all repeating decimals be converted into fractions?

No, not all repeating decimals can be converted into fractions. Only rational numbers, which are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, can be converted into fractions. Therefore, repeating decimals that are irrational numbers, like pi, cannot be converted into fractions.

Why is it important to solve repeating decimals?

Solving repeating decimals can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations, as it allows for a more precise and accurate representation of the number. It can also help in simplifying and comparing numbers, especially when dealing with fractions.

Are there any real-life applications of solving repeating decimals?

Yes, solving repeating decimals has real-life applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and chemistry. For example, in finance, calculating compound interest involves solving repeating decimals to determine the growth of investments. In chemistry, molar mass calculations often require solving repeating decimals to accurately represent the mass of a substance.