Solving a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations

In summary: F_{pull}}{F_{push}}...##However, I am not sure if you are asking for an expression for ##\theta## as the displacement or as the angle it makes with the positive x-axis. Assuming you want the angle, I would try solving for ##\theta## as follows:##\theta=\arcsin(\frac{\alpha}{\gamma})##
Jeroen Staps

Homework Statement

I need to solve a system of two equations for T and θ algebraic and with all the other parameters known.
φ is equal to:
upload_2019-3-14_11-51-37.png

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are the two equations left of * in the image below

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2019-3-14_11-48-47.png

I tried Gauss elimination but I could not solve it further.

Now my question is if it is even possible to solve this algebraic to find T and θ.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-14_11-48-47.png
    upload_2019-3-14_11-48-47.png
    43 KB · Views: 931
  • upload_2019-3-14_11-51-37.png
    upload_2019-3-14_11-51-37.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 792
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a system of two equations and two unknowns. It should be solvable. Write
##T\cos\theta=F_{pull}\cos\phi-F_w##
##T\sin\theta=F_{pull}\sin\phi##
Square both sides of each equation and add them. This eliminates ##\theta##. Solve for ##T##. Then divide the bottom equation by the top to eliminate ##T##. Find ##\tan\theta## and hence ##\theta##.

kuruman said:
You have a system of two equations and two unknowns. It should be solvable. Write
##T\cos\theta=F_{pull}\cos\phi-F_w##
##T\sin\theta=F_{pull}\sin\phi##
Square both sides of each equation and add them. This eliminates ##\theta##. Solve for ##T##. Then divide the bottom equation by the top to eliminate ##T##. Find ##\tan\theta## and hence ##\theta##.
Then I get this:
upload_2019-3-14_14-31-33.png

And φ still contains θ in it

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-14_14-31-33.png
    upload_2019-3-14_14-31-33.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 824
Jeroen Staps said:
Then I get this:View attachment 240241

And φ still contains θ in it
Oops, I missed that. The expression for ##\phi## can be written as
##\sin(\phi+\alpha)=\frac{(AC)-(CD)\cos(\gamma-\theta)}{\sqrt{(AC)^2+(CD)^2-2(AC)(CD)\cos(\gamma-\theta)}}##
You also know that
##\tan\theta=\frac{F_{pull}\sin\phi}{F_{pull}\cos\phi-F_w}##
In principle you can expand the trigonometric functions of sums of angles using the known trig identities and then substitute
##\cos\phi=x ~~\rightarrow~\sin\phi=\sqrt{1-x^2}##
##\cos\theta=y ~~\rightarrow~\sin\theta=\sqrt{1-y^2}##
This should give you a system of two equations and two unknowns, but it's not going to be a pretty picture. I would check my derivation for ##\phi## and see if I missed something that might simplify it. You never know ...

kuruman said:
Oops, I missed that. The expression for ##\phi## can be written as
##\sin(\phi+\alpha)=\frac{(AC)-(CD)\cos(\gamma-\theta)}{\sqrt{(AC)^2+(CD)^2-2(AC)(CD)\cos(\gamma-\theta)}}##
You also know that
##\tan\theta=\frac{F_{pull}\sin\phi}{F_{pull}\cos\phi-F_w}##
In principle you can expand the trigonometric functions of sums of angles using the known trig identities and then substitute
##\cos\phi=x ~~\rightarrow~\sin\phi=\sqrt{1-x^2}##
##\cos\theta=y ~~\rightarrow~\sin\theta=\sqrt{1-y^2}##
This should give you a system of two equations and two unknowns, but it's not going to be a pretty picture. I would check my derivation for ##\phi## and see if I missed something that might simplify it. You never know ...
The problem is that I keep getting a inverse cosine inside a cosine or a sine and when I get this there is no possibility to get θ out of the inverse cosine right?

Jeroen Staps said:
The problem is that I keep getting a inverse cosine inside a cosine or a sine and when I get this there is no possibility to get θ out of the inverse cosine right?
I am not sure I understand what you mean. You can write, for example, ##\sin(\phi+\alpha)=\cos(\alpha) \sqrt{1-x^2}+\sin(\alpha)x##, ##\cos(\gamma-\theta)=\cos(\gamma)y+\sin(\gamma)\sqrt{1-y^2}## and so on. You solve for ##x## and ##y## to get the cosines in terms of known quantities. Once you have these, there is only one inverse cosine to find for each if it's angles that you are required to have.

Incidentally, you should never have to consider an inverse trig function inside another trig function. For example, say you have ##\theta=\arcsin(y/x)##. Clearly ##\sin(\theta) = y/x##. What is ##\cos(\theta)##? Remember that ##\sin(\theta)=\frac{opp.}{hyp.}## and ##\cos(\theta)=\frac{adj.}{hyp.}##. Identify ##opp. = y## and ##hyp. = x## which makes ##adj. = \sqrt{x^2-y^2}## and ##\cos(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-y^2}}{x}##. It follows that ##\tan(\theta)=\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2-y^2}}##.

If you draw the three vectors tail-to-tip, they'll form a triangle. You can use the law of sines and cosines to try find an expression for ##\theta##.

Jeroen Staps said:
I think that in order to get more help, you need to give more detail regarding the overall problem you are solving. That may take this from being mainly a problem with algebra and trig, to a physics or mechanical engineering problem.

In particular, that initial equation you give looks like it comes from having some constraints on the directions of the tension, ##\ \vec T \,,\ ## and the pulling force, ## \vec{F}_\text{pull}\,.## These constraints appear to be related to the positions of three points, A, C, and D along with two angles, ##\ \alpha \ ## and ##\ \gamma \,.##

The denominator of the following appears to be from the application of the Law of Cosines for triangle ACD and may simply be the length AD .

##
\sin(\phi+\alpha)=\dfrac{(AC)-(CD)\cos(\gamma-\theta)}{\sqrt{(AC)^2+(CD)^2-2(AC)(CD)\cos(\gamma-\theta)}}
##

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-16_23-52-41.png
    upload_2019-3-16_23-52-41.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 510
  • upload_2019-3-17_9-47-41.png
    upload_2019-3-17_9-47-41.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
SammyS said:
Do you know the length CD? I see that from the other thread it's length is fixed, but the length AD is not fixed
Yes, CD is fixed and AD is not.
And the length of CD is known

Last edited:
Jeroen Staps said:
Yes, CD is fixed and AD is not.
And the length of CD is known
Are the coordinates of points A, B, and C the same as given in your figure, or are those simply for example?

If those are the values to be used, then what is the length CD ?

By the way, there is a relatively straight forward expression for ##\ \tan(\varphi)\ ## in terms of ##\ \sin(\theta) \ ## and ##\ \cos(\theta) \ ## together with the lengths of AB, BC, and CD . This expression does not refer to either of the angles, ##\alpha##, or ##\gamma \,.##

SammyS said:
Are the coordinates of points A, B, and C the same as given in your figure, or are those simply for example?

If those are the values to be used, then what is the length CD ?

By the way, there is a relatively straight forward expression for ##\ \tan(\varphi)\ ## in terms of ##\ \sin(\theta) \ ## and ##\ \cos(\theta) \ ## together with the lengths of AB, BC, and CD . This expression does not refer to either of the angles, ##\alpha##, or ##\gamma \,.##
The coordinates are for example as is the length of CD. The goal is to express φ in terms of θ or the other way around. And all the other parameters in the expression have to be known.

Jeroen Staps said:
The coordinates are for example as is the length of CD. The goal is to express φ in terms of θ or the other way around. And all the other parameters in the expression have to be known.
Thanks for the clarifications.

Now that we have point B established in this thread, the following expression relates ##\varphi## and ##\theta##.

##\tan(\varphi) = \dfrac{AB-CD \sin(\theta)} {BC-CD\cos(\theta} ##​

If I can come up with a reasonable, well-labelled figure, I will post the derivation of the above in your other thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/describe-the-position-of-a-pulley-attached-to-a-sling.967018/

SammyS said:
Thanks for the clarifications.

Now that we have point B established in this thread, the following expression relates ##\varphi## and ##\theta##.

##\tan(\varphi) = \dfrac{AB-CD \sin(\theta)} {BC-CD\cos(\theta} ##​

If I can come up with a reasonable, well-labelled figure, I will post the derivation of the above in your other thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/describe-the-position-of-a-pulley-attached-to-a-sling.967018/
Is it now possible to extract theta from ##\cos(\arctan(\dfrac{AB-CD \sin(\theta)} {BC-CD\cos(\theta)})) ##

I know that ##\cos(\arctan(x)) =\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}##

1. How do I solve a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations?

To solve a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations, you can use substitution or elimination. First, isolate one of the variables in one of the equations and substitute it into the other equation. Then, solve for the remaining variable. Finally, substitute the value of the variable into either of the original equations to find the value of the other variable.

2. Can I use the unit circle to solve a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Yes, the unit circle can be a useful tool in solving trigonometric equations. By plotting the points on the unit circle, you can easily determine the values of the trigonometric functions for specific angles. This can help in solving equations involving trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common strategies for solving a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations include using trigonometric identities, using the unit circle, and using substitution or elimination. It is also important to simplify the equations as much as possible before attempting to solve them.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations. These include equations with multiple angles, equations with inverse trigonometric functions, and equations with trigonometric functions raised to a power.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Solving a system of two simultaneous trigonometric equations can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to calculate distances, angles, and other measurements in real-world scenarios. For example, it can be used to determine the height of a building or the distance between two objects.