Solving Antiphase Wave Homework: Wavelength 633nm

• Thread starter ravsterphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the path difference and vertical distance for waves in antiphase, as well as determining the difference in path lengths for two people traveling to different points and back. The formula (n+0.5)(lambda) is mentioned as a helpful tool, and the conversation concludes with one person stating that this is the answer to the question.
ravsterphysics

Homework Statement

capture1-jpg.110378.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I know the wavelength of light is (1.53 x 414nm) = 633nm

But for the second part I'm stumped. Since it's 180 degrees then the waves are in antiphase but I don't understand how to calculate the vertical distance?? (If antiphase then the path difference is (n+0.5)(lambda) )

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
Waves going to A and getting reflected there to get back to the emitter take a longer path than waves getting reflected at B. How much longer?
ravsterphysics said:
(If antiphase then the path difference is (n+0.5)(lambda) )
That formula is useful.

mfb said:
Waves going to A and getting reflected there to get back to the emitter take a longer path than waves getting reflected at B. How much longer?
That formula is useful.

I've taken another look but I'm still confused. Can you help out?

Since it's 180 degrees out of phase then that means it's half a wavelength behind so n would be 0.5, right?

n is always an integer. the "0.5" are added to n already.

Person X and Y both start at the same place. Person X goes to point B and back to the start. Person Y goes to point A, which is a distance d behind point B, and then goes back to the start. What is the difference in the path lengths of person X and Y?

The difference from above is equal to (n+0.5)(lambda) for some integern n. Which integer n leads to the smallest distance d?

ravsterphysics said:

(If antiphase then the path difference is (n+0.5)(lambda) )

Dude, that's the answer.

Cutter Ketch said:
Dude, that's the answer.
P.s. Don't forget that the light reflected from A covers the distance between A and B twice.

Related to Solving Antiphase Wave Homework: Wavelength 633nm

1. What is the definition of antiphase waves?

Antiphase waves refer to two waves that are completely out of phase with each other, meaning that they have opposite amplitudes and are perfectly aligned when one is at its peak and the other is at its trough.

2. How is the wavelength of a wave determined?

The wavelength of a wave is determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive points that are in phase, meaning that they have the same amplitude and are at the same point in their cycle.

3. How do you calculate the wavelength of a wave with a frequency of 633nm?

The equation for calculating wavelength is: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. Therefore, for a wave with a frequency of 633nm, the wavelength would be: 633nm = 3 x 10^8 m/s / frequency.

4. What is the significance of antiphase waves in physics?

Antiphase waves have several applications in physics, including in the study of interference and diffraction phenomena. They also play a role in understanding the properties of light and other electromagnetic radiation.

5. How can I solve antiphase wave homework problems?

To solve antiphase wave homework problems, you will need to understand the concepts of wavelength, frequency, and phase difference. You will also need to be familiar with the relevant equations and be able to apply them correctly. Practice problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be helpful in solving these types of problems.