Solving Cartesian Equation: r= 9 cosθ

• Thread starter knv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cartesian
In summary, the Cartesian equation to represent the curve r = 9 cosθ is x2+y2=9x. This can be found by using the formula rcosθ= x and cos θ= x/r, resulting in (x-9/2)^2 +y^2 = (9/2)^2 and simplifying it to x2+y2=9x. Some online homework software may require the answer to be in a specific form, so be sure to check the instructions carefully.
knv
1. Find a Cartesian equation to represent the curve r = 9 cosθ

2. I know that rcosθ= x and cos θ= x/r

3. I got (x-9/2)^2 +y^2 = (9/2)^2 but its coming up wrong when I put it into our online homework. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi knv! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
knv said:
I got (x-9/2)2 +y2 = (9/2)^2

how?? :confused:

anyway, just multiply by r …

r2 = 9rcosθ :smile:

knv said:

2. I know that rcosθ= x and cos θ= x/r

3. I got (x-9/2)^2 +y^2 = (9/2)^2 but its coming up wrong when I put it into our online homework. Can anyone help me?

Your result looks correct to me. It probably has something to do with how you "simplify" it before you type in the answer. Maybe something simple like writing the right side as 81/4?

the answer was more simple than I thought.

x2+y2=9x

Thanks!

knv said:
the answer was more simple than I thought.

x2+y2=9x

Thanks!

So your original answer was correct, just not in the form the software wanted.

yes. I always get things wrong just because its not in the form the software wanted. Miss when we could turn homework in on paper haha

1. What is a Cartesian equation?

A Cartesian equation is an equation that relates the coordinates of a point on a plane to its distance from the origin. It is written in the form of x and y coordinates, such as y = mx + b.

2. How do you solve a Cartesian equation?

The first step in solving a Cartesian equation is to identify the variables. Then, use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What does "r = 9 cosθ" mean?

The equation r = 9 cosθ represents a polar equation, where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle in radians. This equation is a circle with a radius of 9 units, centered at the origin.

4. How do you graph "r = 9 cosθ"?

To graph r = 9 cosθ, plot points by substituting different values for θ and calculating the corresponding value for r. Then, connect the points to create a circle with a radius of 9 units centered at the origin.

5. What is the connection between polar and Cartesian equations?

Polar and Cartesian equations are two different ways of expressing the same relationship between coordinates on a plane. While polar equations use r and θ to represent distance and angle, Cartesian equations use x and y coordinates to represent points on a plane.