Solving Composite Functions: Find g(3) with g(2)=37

In summary, To solve this problem, we can use our understanding of the properties of polynomials to guide our choices. We can make educated guesses and refine them as we go. We know that f(g(x)) has the degree mn and f(x)g(x) has the degree m+n. The relation between n and m is m=n/(n-1). By assuming that f(x) is a quadratic polynomial, we can solve for g(x) and find that g(3)=75.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Suppose f(x) and g(x) are non-zero polynomials with real coefficients, such that f(g(x))=f(x)⋅g(x). If g(2)=37, what is g(3)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin this with.
At x=2,
f(g(2))=f(2).g(2)
f(37)=37f(2)

What should I do with this equation? I cannot even guess any function which would satisfy the above condition.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know they are polynomials ... what are the properties of polynomials?

Note: if ##f=x^2+1## and ##g=x##, both polynomials,
then ##f(g)=x^2+1## and ##f.g = x^3+x## so ##f(g)\neq f.g## so these are not correct.

You have to try to figure out what sort of polynomial will fit in there.
Start by revising the properties of polynimials and then experiment with different short polynomials to get a feel for how they behave.

Simon Bridge said:
You have to try to figure out what sort of polynomial will fit in there.
Start by revising the properties of polynimials and then experiment with different short polynomials to get a feel for how they behave.

Does that mean that there's no proper way of doing it and I have to guess the polynomials? D:

The proper way to do it is to use your understanding of the properties of polynomials.

Since you have yet to gain that understanding, you will have to make educated guesses ... refine your guesses as you go: do not make blind guesses - there are infinite possibilities to choose from. You are supposed to use your knowledge of polynomials to guide your choices.

You know things like that ##g=\sum_{i=0}^n a_n x^n## and ##g(2)=\sum_{i=0}^n a_n 2^n = 37## ... and you know how to do powers of 2.

Fortunately (you should have realized) f and g must be quite simple polynomials ... they won't be order n=1045 or anything like that. You know this because your instructor knows your competence level and has set the problem in keeping with it ;) Try guessing just simple powers of x ... what happens if f=x^2 and g=x^3 ? Do f and g have to be different?

eg. f=g=x^2, f.g=x^2, f(g)=x^4 ... so f(g)=fg ... looks good: unfortunately g(2)=4 so it's not right.
g = x^5 + x^2 + 1 works ... but so does: g=x+35
Get the idea?

You can also work with the relationships... eg.
if f(3)=2f(2) then what is f(x) likely to be?

That kind of thing. In your case you know that f(37)=37f(2).

There will also be clues in your coursework so far.

Last edited:
What can be the order of the polynomials?

ehild

Sorry for being late. :smile:

Simon Bridge said:
The proper way to do it is to use your understanding of the properties of polynomials.

Since you have yet to gain that understanding, you will have to make educated guesses ... refine your guesses as you go: do not make blind guesses - there are infinite possibilities to choose from. You are supposed to use your knowledge of polynomials to guide your choices.
I don't think that I do have time to revise everything about polynomials as it is almost the end of session and I am done with my coursework. :)

Simon Bridge said:
eg. f=g=x^2, f.g=x^2, f(g)=x^4 ... so f(g)=fg ... looks good: unfortunately g(2)=4 so it's not right.
g = x^5 + x^2 + 1 works ... but so does: g=x+35
Get the idea?

You can also work with the relationships... eg.
if f(3)=2f(2) then what is f(x) likely to be?

That kind of thing. In your case you know that f(37)=37f(2).

There will also be clues in your coursework so far.

I too guessed those two same polynomials (and some more) for g(x) but not even one for f(x). I could only deduce that both f(x) and g(x) shouldn't be of same degree. For example, had they been both a linear polynomial, the LHS would be a linear one and the RHS would consist of a term containing x^2.

Pranav-Arora said:
I could only deduce that both f(x) and g(x) shouldn't be of same degree.

Are you sure?

If f is of n degree and g is of m degree what is the degree of f(g(x))? and what is the degree of f(x)g(x)?

Starting with the highest degree term,

f(x) =anxn+...
g(x)=bmxm+...

f(g(x))=an(bmxm+... )n+...=(anxn+...)(bmxm+...)

What is the relation between n and m?

ehild

I don't think that there is only one solution. Since we only want g(x), and f(x) is allowed to be anything we want, then just guess a polynomial for g(x) such that g(2) = 37, find the corresponding f(x), then solve for g(3).

ehild said:
Are you sure?

If f is of n degree and g is of m degree what is the degree of f(g(x))? and what is the degree of f(x)g(x)?
f(g(x)) has the degree mn and f(x).g(x) has the degree m+n.

ehild said:
What is the relation between n and m?

Is the relation ##m=\frac{n}{n-1}## ?

If this is the relation, I get only one solution, which is m=2 and n=2. :confused:

Last edited:
Ooohoo, looks like I got it.

Using the above relation, m=2 and n=2, I assumed that f(x) is a quadratic of the form ##ax^2+bx+c##.
Since, ##f(37)=37 \cdot f(2)##
[tex](37)^2a+37b+c=37(4a+2b+c)[/tex]
Rearranging, I end up with
[tex]37 \times 33a-37b-36c=0[/tex]
The possible values of ##a,b,c## can be ##a=1, b=33## and c=0.
Therefore, ##f(x)=x^2+33x##
As ##f(g(x))=f(x).g(x)##
[tex](g(x))^2+33 \cdot g(x)=(x^2+33x) \cdot g(x)[/tex]
The above relation is a quadratic in g(x) and from here I get two solutions.
##g(x)=0## and ##g(x)=x^2+33x-33## but g(x) is a non-zero polynomial, hence ##g(x)=0## is not admissible. Both f(x) and g(x) satisfy the given conditions.
Therefore, g(3)=75.

Thanks a lot both of you. :smile:

Well, that is the solution, but the problem said that the coefficients are real. So the equation 37×33a−37b−36c=0 has infinite number of solutions. The coefficient of the quadratic term is arbitrary, take it a=1.

If f(x)=x2+bx+c and g(x) = Ax2+Bx+C

f(g(x))=(Ax2+Bx+C)2+b(Ax2+Bx+C)+c=(x2+bx+c)(Ax2+Bx+C)

You can rearrange the equation so as one side is quadratic.

b(Ax2+Bx+C)+c=(Ax2+Bx+C)(Ax2+Bx+C-x2-bx-c)

Expand, and compare the coefficients. Start with the highest degree terms. The coefficient of X4 is A(A-1)=0 so A=1. The coefficient of x3 is A(B-b), so B=b...

ehild

ehild said:
... A(A-1)=0 so A=1.

Won't this equation give two values for A? And corresponding to each value, there will be a different value for B? :confused:

A can not be zero as it would make g(x) first order.

ehild

?

frm which book did you get dis qstn??

Sorry for the late reply.

ehild said:
A can not be zero as it would make g(x) first order.

ehild

Comparing coefficient of ##x^2##,
[tex]Ab=A(C-c)+B(B-b)+C(A-1)[/tex]
But A=1 and B=b,
[tex]b=C-c[/tex]

Comparing coefficient of ##x##,
[tex]Bb=B(C-c)+C(B-b)[/tex]
As B=b=C-c, hence
[tex]b^2=b(C-c)[/tex]
[tex]b=0,C-c[/tex]

Comparing the constant terms,
[tex]bC+c=C(C-c)[/tex]
[tex]bC+c=bC[/tex]
[tex]c=0[/tex]

From these, ##b,c## and ##C## are zero. :confused:

I made a sign error in my equation, I am afraid. It should be
b(Ax2+Bx+C)+c=(Ax2+Bx+C)(x2+bx+c-(Ax2+Bx+C)) or maybe not? You have to check what is said to you :smile:

ehild

Edited:

As it was my fault, I do one more step with the correct formula and delete anything further.

b(Ax2+Bx+C)+c=(Ax2+Bx+C)(x2(1-A)+(b-B)x+(c-C))

We know already that A=1 and B=b.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
As it was my fault, I repeat your derivation with the correct formula.

(Derivation)

Oh ehild, you should have waited for me to do it. I cannot reply instantly now a days because of my finals. I still haven't checked the derivation so you may wish to remove it. :)

I removed everything but a hint: before comparing further coefficients replace A=1 and B=b into the equation. Good luck for the finals! :)

ehild

ehild said:
Good luck for the finals! :)

Thanks, my finals just got over today. I did well especially in Physics and Maths. :smile:

Getting back onto the question, I replaced A with 1 and B with b.
The equation reduces to
b(x2[/sup]+bx+C)+c=(x2[/sup]+bx+C)(c-C)

Comparing coefficients of x2[/sup],
b=c-C

Comparing coefficients of x,
b2[/sup]=(c-C)b or b2[/sup]=b2[/sup]. This means b=0? :confused:

bC+c=C(c-C) or bC+c=Cb
Again c=0. :confused:

I am ending up with the same results again. :(

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks, my finals just got over today. I did well especially in Physics and Maths. :smile:
Congratulation! You are great!:cool:

Pranav-Arora said:
Getting back onto the question, I replaced A with 1 and B with b.
The equation reduces to
b(x2+bx+C)+c=(x2+bx+C)(c-C)

Comparing coefficients of x2,
b=c-C

Comparing coefficients of x,
b2=(c-C)b or b2=b2. This means b=0? :confused:
No, b2=b2 does not mean anything for b. b is identical with itself as anything is identical with itself.

Pranav-Arora said:
bC+c=C(c-C) or bC+c=Cb
Again c=0. :confused:
Yes, c=0, so b=c-C means that C=-b.

Pranav-Arora said:
I am ending up with the same results again. :(

It is not the same. Now you know that f has zero constant term, and you know the coefficients of g in terms of the coefficients of f :
A=1, B=b and C=-b.

Now use the equation g(2)=37.

ehild

f(x)=x2+bx+c and g(x)=x2+bx-b

g(2)=37=4+2b-b
or b=33.

Hence, g(3)=9+3*33-33=75

Thanks a lot ehild! :smile:

Related to Solving Composite Functions: Find g(3) with g(2)=37

1. What is the definition of a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions. The output of one function serves as the input for the other function.

2. How do you solve for g(3) in a composite function?

To solve for g(3) in a composite function, you must first find the value of g(2) in the given equation. Then, substitute the value of g(2) into the equation for g(x) and solve for g(3).

3. What is the importance of solving for g(3) in a composite function?

Finding the value of g(3) in a composite function allows us to evaluate the function at a specific input, which is useful for understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions.

4. How can I check if I have solved for g(3) correctly?

You can check your solution by plugging in the value of g(3) into the original composite function and making sure that it equals the given value of 37.

5. Can you explain the process of solving a composite function with an example?

For example, if we have the composite function f(g(x)) and we know that g(2) = 37, we can find g(3) as follows:
Step 1: Substitute 37 for g(2) in the equation for g(x)
Step 2: Simplify the equation to get the value of g(3)
Step 3: Plug in the value of g(3) into the original composite function to check if it equals 37.