Solving Coupled Differential Equations (in Matlab)

In summary, the problem is to find the coefficients 'a' and 'b' for a system of coupled differential equations, based on theoretical interpretation and given values for x(t) and y(t). The ODE can be solved analytically and the coefficients can be found by minimizing the square error between the theoretical and given values.
ksmanis
Hi,

I have the following problem to solve. My system can be defined as a set of coupled differential equations as described below:

dy/dt = -a*y(t) + b*x(t) + (m-y(t))*r;
dx/dt = a*y(t) - b*x(t) + (n-x(t))*r;

where m,n and r are constants. I have the values of y(t) and x(t) for different values of t. The above dy/dt and dx/dt are based on theoretical interpretation (and I do not have their values). For the given set of x(t), y(t), I would like to find the coefficients 'a' and 'b' fitting the above system.

Appreciate your help in solving this problem in any package (preferably matlab)

Kind Regards
Subbu

Physics news on Phys.org
The ODE is linear with constant coefficients, so can be solved analytically to obtain [itex](x,y)(t)[/itex] expressly. One could then attempt to minimize the square error [itex]\sum_i \|(x,y)(t_i) - (x_i,y_i)\|^2[/itex] in the usual way.

1. What are coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are a set of differential equations that are interconnected and cannot be solved independently. This means that the solution to one equation depends on the solutions of the other equations in the set.

2. How do I solve coupled differential equations in Matlab?

To solve coupled differential equations in Matlab, you can use the built-in function ode45. This function uses numerical methods to approximate the solution to the equations. You will need to provide the equations, initial conditions, and a time interval to solve the equations.

3. What are the advantages of using Matlab to solve coupled differential equations?

Matlab offers a variety of built-in functions and tools for solving differential equations. It also has a user-friendly interface and allows for easy visualization and manipulation of data. Additionally, Matlab has efficient algorithms for solving complex equations, making it a popular choice for scientists and engineers.

4. How do I handle stiff equations when solving coupled differential equations?

Stiff equations are those that have widely varying time scales in their solutions. In Matlab, you can use the ode15s function to solve stiff equations. This function uses a more accurate and efficient algorithm for stiff equations.

5. Can I solve non-linear coupled differential equations in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab can solve both linear and non-linear coupled differential equations. However, non-linear equations may require more complex methods and may be more computationally intensive. It is important to carefully select the appropriate solver and algorithm for your specific equations.