Understanding Power Series Solutions for Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation using power series and the confusion around the x term on the right hand side of the equation. The person suggests splitting the series into three parts and expanding them to group the results by powers of x. They mention being a beginner with series and ask for more specific guidance.
Fuzedmind

Homework Statement

Solve this equation using power series: y'' + y = x

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about the x on the RHS of the equation. If the equation was y'' + y = 0, I would have no problem solving it. I am just a little confused about how the x fits into the equation for cn.

if the equation were y'' + y = 0, then cn + 2 = cn/(n+1)(n+2). How does the x fit into this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to split up the series you get into three parts. One of those parts will be very short, with just a single term.

Show us what you have for your series.

I'm a newb and don't know how to use this website, so here goes:

SUM[ (n+2)(n+1)cn+2xn] + SUM[cnxn] = x

[tex]
\ \ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+2)(n+1)c_{n+2}x^n} \ \ + \ \ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{c_{n}x^n} \ \ = x
[/tex]

Here it is in the non-retarded version

Last edited:
Try expanding your two series and then grouping the results by powers of x. Be sure to take the x on the right side into account.

I kind of understand what you're saying, but could you try being a little more specific? I am terrible with series.

Related to Understanding Power Series Solutions for Differential Equations

What is a power series and how is it used to solve differential equations?

A power series is an infinite series of the form a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... where an are constants and x is the variable. It is used to approximate functions by breaking them down into smaller, simpler functions. In solving differential equations, a power series can be used to find an infinite polynomial solution that satisfies the differential equation.

What are the steps to solving a differential equation using power series?

The steps to solving a differential equation using power series are:
1. Write the differential equation in standard form.
2. Assume that the solution is in the form of a power series and substitute it into the differential equation.
3. Equate the coefficients of each power of x on both sides of the equation.
4. Solve for the coefficients.
5. Combine the coefficients to get the final solution.

What are the advantages of using power series to solve differential equations?

Using power series to solve differential equations has several advantages:
1. It allows for an infinite polynomial solution that can accurately approximate the function.
2. It can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations with different initial conditions.
3. It provides a systematic approach to solving differential equations by breaking them down into simpler functions.
4. It can be used to find a general solution that satisfies the differential equation for any value of x.

Are there any limitations or challenges to using power series to solve differential equations?

There are a few limitations and challenges to using power series to solve differential equations:
1. The solution may not always converge for all values of x.
2. It can be time-consuming to solve for the coefficients, especially for higher order differential equations.
3. It may not be suitable for solving differential equations with complex boundary conditions.

Can power series be used to solve differential equations with non-constant coefficients?

Yes, power series can be used to solve differential equations with non-constant coefficients. In this case, the coefficients in the power series will also be functions of x and the solution will be a function of both x and the coefficients. This method is known as the method of Frobenius and is commonly used to solve second-order differential equations with non-constant coefficients.