1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving DE using power series

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve this equation using power series: y'' + y = x

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused about the x on the RHS of the equation. If the equation was y'' + y = 0, I would have no problem solving it. I am just a little confused about how the x fits into the equation for cn.

if the equation were y'' + y = 0, then cn + 2 = cn/(n+1)(n+2). How does the x fit into this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to split up the series you get into three parts. One of those parts will be very short, with just a single term.

Show us what you have for your series.

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    I'm a newb and don't know how to use this website, so here goes:

SUM[ (n+2)(n+1)cn+2xn] + SUM[cnxn] = x

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    [tex]
    \ \ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+2)(n+1)c_{n+2}x^n} \ \ + \ \ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{c_{n}x^n} \ \ = x
    [/tex]

Here it is in the non-retarded version

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. Oct 22, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try expanding your two series and then grouping the results by powers of x. Be sure to take the x on the right side into account.

7. Oct 24, 2009 #6
    I kind of understand what you're saying, but could you try being a little more specific? I am terrible with series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook