Solving Dynamics Problems with Burden's Self-Study: Momentum & Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a dynamics problem involving three balls with a mass of 2kg each and a coefficient of restitution of k = 0.85. The problem asks for the velocity of ball A before it strikes ball B, the conservation of momentum equation for the impact between the two balls, the velocity of each ball after the impact, and the kinetic energy of the system before the first impact. The question states to ignore ball C and gravity, and to assume that the balls slide without friction. The participant suggests simplifying the problem and showing working in order to receive specific and useful help.
apamnani1
Good morning all. I wondered if anyone could assist me with the following dynamics problem.
The question is copied from Burdens Dynamics and Mechanical Sciece Self Study.

Question) Three balls of mass 2kg each, have a coefficient of restitution of k = 0.85. Ball A is released at a height of 1m from rest and strikes ball B and then ball B strikes ball C.

a) Determine the velocity of ball A just before it strikes ball B.
b) Write down the conservation of momentum equation for the analysis of the impact between ball A and ball B.
c) Calculate the velocity of each ball following the final impact.
d) What is the kinetic energy of the system just before the first impact.

Assume that the balls slide without friction. K is the ratio of relative speeds of balls after and before the impact K = v2-v1/u1-u2.

My conservation of momentum is the only piece I truly understand. After the final impact how would you go about analytically calculating the velocity as stated?

Physics news on Phys.org

When in doubt simplify to a question that you can answer...

Ignore ball C

If stuck on part a) make an assumption (ie a reasonable guess) for the velocity of A before it hits B

Ignore gravity except where you *must* include it.
The question tells you to ignore friction so no need to apply that simplification

---

But above all you have to show some working so that specific useful help can be given beyond the general one of when in doubt simplify..

Related to Solving Dynamics Problems with Burden's Self-Study: Momentum & Kinetic Energy

1. What is the Burden's self-study method for solving dynamics problems?

The Burden's self-study method is an approach to solving dynamics problems that focuses on using momentum and kinetic energy principles. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller components and applying the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy to each component to find the final solution.

2. How do I know when to use momentum versus kinetic energy in a dynamics problem?

Momentum is typically used when the problem involves the motion of objects with mass, while kinetic energy is used when the problem involves the motion of objects with velocity. In general, if the problem involves collisions, explosions, or changes in direction of motion, momentum is more appropriate, while kinetic energy is used for problems involving work, energy transfer, or changes in speed.

3. Can I use the Burden's self-study method for all types of dynamics problems?

Yes, the Burden's self-study method is a general approach that can be applied to a wide range of dynamics problems. However, it may not be the most efficient method for every problem, so it is important to assess the problem and determine if the method is appropriate.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Burden's self-study method?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the Burden's self-study method include not properly identifying the components of the problem, not considering all forces acting on an object, and not using the correct equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent.

5. Are there any tips for improving my problem-solving skills using the Burden's self-study method?

Practice and repetition are key to improving problem-solving skills using the Burden's self-study method. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller steps and draw diagrams to visualize the components of the problem. Additionally, reviewing the concepts of momentum and kinetic energy and their application in different scenarios can also improve understanding and problem-solving abilities.