Solving equation with cube roots.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation \sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2}+\sqrt[3]{x+3}=0 and two different methods are proposed. The first method involves factoring (x+2)^(1/3) and the second method involves rearranging the equation to \sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2}=-\sqrt[3]{x+3} and then simplifying to x+2=\sqrt[3]{(x+1)(x+2)(x+3)}. The second method is explained by realizing that \sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2
chingel

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:

[itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2}+\sqrt[3]{x+3}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was move (x+3)^(1/3) to the other side, cube both sides and when I put them equal to 0 again, I managed to factor (x+2)^(1/3) out of it giving one solution x=-2.

However if I looked up the proposed solution after cubing and a little gathering and grouping it arrived at this:

[itex]3x+6=-3\sqrt[3]{x+1}*\sqrt[3]{x+2}*(\sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2})[/itex]

Which is clear, but then in the next step it is converted to this without explanation:

[itex]x+2=\sqrt[3]{(x+1)(x+2)(x+3)}[/itex]

From there on the solution is just putting it equal to 0 and factorizing, but how did it get to this from the previous? It would imply [itex]-(\sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2})[/itex] is equal to [itex]\sqrt[3]{(x+3)}[/itex], which I don't think it is. Is it wrong or what is up with that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your original equation:
[tex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2}+\sqrt[3]{x+3}=0[/tex]
This means:
[tex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2}=-\sqrt[3]{x+3}[/tex]
Plug this into:
[tex]3x+6=-3\sqrt[3]{x+1}*\sqrt[3]{x+2}*(\sqrt[3]{x+1}+\sqrt[3]{x+2})[/tex]
and cancel out a factor of 3 to give:
[tex]x+2=\sqrt[3]{(x+1)(x+2)(x+3)}[/tex]

Oh, didn't see that, thank you.

Related to Solving equation with cube roots.

1. How do I solve an equation with cube roots?

To solve an equation with cube roots, you can follow these steps:

1. Isolate the cube root on one side of the equation.
  2. Raise both sides of the equation to the third power to cancel out the cube root.
  3. Simplify the resulting equation.
  4. Find the cube root of both sides to solve for the variable.

2. Can I solve an equation with multiple cube roots?

Yes, you can solve an equation with multiple cube roots by following the same steps as for a single cube root. Make sure to isolate each cube root on one side of the equation before raising both sides to the third power.

3. What if the equation has a cube root and other types of roots?

If the equation has a cube root and other types of roots, you can follow the same steps as for a single cube root. Simply isolate each type of root on one side of the equation before raising both sides to the appropriate power.

4. Are there any special cases when solving equations with cube roots?

Yes, there are a few special cases to be aware of when solving equations with cube roots:

• If the equation has a cube root and a square root, you will need to isolate the cube root first and then the square root.
  • If the equation has a cube root with a negative coefficient, you will need to factor out the negative sign before isolating the cube root.
  • If the equation has a cube root with a variable in the radicand (expression inside the root symbol), you will need to raise both sides to the sixth power to remove the cube root.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve equations with cube roots?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations with cube roots. Most scientific calculators have a cube root button, usually labeled as "x√" or "y√x". Simply enter the expression inside the cube root and the calculator will give you the result.