Solving Equation: (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1

• Thread starter teng125
  • Start date
In summary, the standard form of an ellipse equation is (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1, where (a,b) represents the center coordinates and a and b are the major and minor axes lengths. The center and axes lengths can be determined by putting the equation in standard form and are given by (h,k) = (0,0), a = |a| and b = |b|. The coefficients a and b represent the lengths of the major and minor axes and determine the shape and orientation of the ellipse. To graph the equation, plot the center point and use the axes lengths to draw the ellipse. This equation can also be used to solve real-world problems such as
teng125
for (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1 ,
may i know how to formula this eqn to get the roots??

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
teng125 said:
for (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1 ,
may i know how to formula this eqn to get the roots??

thanx
Uhmm, not sure what do you mean by formula this eqn, and get the roots? That's the euqtion of an ellipse. What's the exact question?

And what work have you tried on this? Have you even had any ideas?

Related to Solving Equation: (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1

1. What is the general form of the equation (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1?

The general form of this equation is known as the standard form of an ellipse, where (a,b) represents the coordinates of the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively.

2. How can I determine the center and axes lengths of an ellipse from this equation?

To determine the center and axes lengths, the equation must be in standard form. The center of the ellipse is given by (h,k) = (0,0) and the lengths of the major and minor axes are determined by a = |a| and b = |b|.

3. What do the coefficients a and b represent in this equation?

The coefficients a and b represent the lengths of the major and minor axes of the ellipse, respectively. They also determine the shape and orientation of the ellipse.

4. How can I graph this equation?

To graph this equation, plot the center point (h,k) and then use the lengths of the major and minor axes to draw the ellipse. You can also plot additional points to get a better understanding of the shape and orientation of the ellipse.

5. Can this equation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve real-world problems such as finding the distance between two points on an ellipse or determining the path of a celestial body in orbit.