Solving Equations: A,B,C,D Constants - Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about equations involving constants A, B, C, and D, and the difficulty in solving them due to a lack of understanding of logarithms. The proposed solution is to use a Newton-based scheme to solve for X and Y, with an initial guess for Y.
Tesla.RulZ

Homework Statement

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg191/scaled.php?server=191&filename=daumequation13325015229.png&res=medium
where A,B,C & D are constants.

2. The attempt at a solution
Actually i am an electrical engineering student and these 2 equations are transistor equations that we are supposed to itterate in many problems, i tried to solve them but unfortunatley we were never actually taught how to solve Ln equations, so i'd be thankful if someone could solve them so i don't have to itterate them everytime because it's very time consuming and we've got so much work to do.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not be afraid to look back in your elementary books.

Inability to solve equations like this = having forgotten what a logarithm is.

If a = eb , then b = ln a .

This is by definition (or may be - there are various approaches).

When you are revising check out logs to various bases and the relations between them because it looks like you may soon need that.

You want to calculate X and Y right, knowing A,B,C and D?

I would get them all in one equation:
[tex]
Y=C\ln\frac{A-Y}{BD}
[/tex]
And then write this as:
[tex]
Y-C\ln\frac{A-Y}{BD}=0
[/tex]
and use a Newton based scheme to solve it. I would use an initial guess as Y=A/2 because from the equation it is clear that A>Y.
So in this case the Newton scheme would be:
[tex]
Y_{N+1}=Y_{N}-\frac{1+\frac{BCD}{A-Y_{N}}}{Y_{N}-C\ln\frac{A-Y_{N}}{BD}}
[/tex]
As a sense check take A=B=C=D=1 and see that the solution is clearly X=1 and Y=0. I took A=2,B=C=D=1 and obtained the solution X=1.5571 and Y=0.44285.

1. What are constants A, B, C, and D in equations?

Constants A, B, C, and D are numerical values that remain the same throughout an equation. They do not change or vary with the other variables in the equation.

2. How do I solve equations with A, B, C, and D constants?

To solve equations with constants A, B, C, and D, you must use algebraic methods such as simplifying, combining like terms, and isolating the variable on one side of the equation. Then, you can use inverse operations to solve for the variable.

3. Can constants in equations have different values?

Yes, constants in equations can have different values. They can be positive or negative, and they can also be fractions or decimals. The specific values of constants will affect the solution of the equation.

4. How do I check if my solution to an equation with constants is correct?

To check if your solution to an equation with constants is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation. If the equation is still true, then your solution is correct.

5. Are there any special rules for solving equations with constants?

No, there are no special rules for solving equations with constants. The same rules and methods used to solve equations without constants apply to equations with constants. It is important to remember that constants do not change the process of solving equations, they are simply part of the equation.