Solving Escalator Motion Problems: A Shopper's Guide

• Thread starter sultaN-PL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: ANSHU: The question is asking for the time it would take the shopper to walk up the moving escalator and whether they could walk down the moving escalator to the floor below. A formula cannot be used in this case as there is no displacement or distance given. The only variable is time.
sultaN-PL
I really do not understand this question...what kind of formula can I use, because there is no displacement/distance? any help? What do I do since there is only one variable? thanks in advance.

QUESTION: A shopper can ride up a moving escalator in 15 s. When the escalator is turned off, the shopper can walk up the stationary escalator in 8 s. a) How long would it take the shopper to walk up the moving escalator? b) Could the shopper walk down the moving escalator to the floor below? if so how long would it take?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sultaN-PL said:
I really do not understand this question...what kind of formula can I use, because there is no displacement/distance? any help? What do I do since there is only one variable? thanks in advance.

QUESTION: A shopper can ride up a moving escalator in 15 s. When the escalator is turned off, the shopper can walk up the stationary escalator in 8 s. a) How long would it take the shopper to walk up the moving escalator? b) Could the shopper walk down the moving escalator to the floor below? if so how long would it take?
The speed of the escalator is +L/15 m/sec where L is the length in metres. Her speed relative to the escaltor is + or - L/8 (m/sec). Her speed relative to the ground is _____? The distance is L. So how long does that take?

AM

I would suggest using the formula v=d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the displacement or distance, and t is the time. In this case, the variable of interest is time, which we can solve for using the given information.

a) To find the time it would take the shopper to walk up the moving escalator, we can set up the equation:

15 s = (d/t) + 8 s

Where d is the distance of the escalator. Since we do not know the distance, we can use the fact that the shopper is walking at the same speed in both scenarios, so the distance walked should be the same. Therefore, we can set the distances equal to each other and solve for t:

15 s = (8 s + d)/t

15t = 8s + d

d = 15t - 8s

Now we can substitute this value for d into our original equation and solve for t:

15 s = (15t - 8s)/t

15t = 15t - 8s

8s = 0

s = 0

Therefore, it would take the shopper 0 seconds to walk up the moving escalator, as they are already on it and not walking.

b) Yes, the shopper could walk down the moving escalator to the floor below. To find the time it would take, we can use the same formula as before, but with the shopper walking in the opposite direction:

15 s = (d/t) - 8 s

Solving for t:

15 s = (8 s - d)/t

15t = 8s - d

d = 8s - 15t

Substituting this value for d into the original equation and solving for t:

15 s = (8s - 15t)/t

15t = 8s - 15t

30t = 8s

t = 8s/30

t = 4/15 s

Therefore, it would take the shopper 4/15 seconds to walk down the moving escalator.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and provide a solution using a scientific approach. If you have further questions or need additional help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Solving Escalator Motion Problems: A Shopper's Guide

1. How do you determine the speed of an escalator?

The speed of an escalator can be determined by measuring the distance traveled and the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be done using a stopwatch and a measuring tape.

2. What is the average speed of an escalator?

The average speed of an escalator can vary, but it is typically between 0.5 and 1.0 meters per second. This can also depend on the length and steepness of the escalator.

3. How do you calculate the time it takes to go up or down an escalator?

The time it takes to go up or down an escalator can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the speed of the escalator. For example, if the distance traveled is 10 meters and the speed of the escalator is 0.5 meters per second, it would take 20 seconds to travel the distance.

4. How does the weight of a shopper affect the speed of an escalator?

The weight of a shopper does not significantly affect the speed of an escalator. However, if many heavy shoppers are using the escalator at the same time, it may slow down slightly due to increased weight and strain on the motor.

5. How can I use the information from solving escalator motion problems in my daily life?

Knowing how to solve escalator motion problems can be useful in various situations, such as calculating the time it will take to reach a certain floor in a building or determining the best route to take when navigating through a crowded shopping mall. It can also help you make more efficient use of your time while using escalators.