Solving for Kcm in Particle Collision Problem

In summary: So, even if we were told that the collision was inelastic, you still couldn't assume that Kcm=K.In summary, the problem involves finding the total kinetic energy in the center of mass system after a collision between a particle with mass 'm' and kinetic energy 'K' and a stationary particle of mass M. The equation for the center of mass kinetic energy is K_{cm} = \frac{M}{M + m}K. However, this equation assumes a completely inelastic collision, and if the collision is elastic, the CM energy will be the same as the initial kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is not an invariant under the Galilean transformation, so it cannot be assumed that Kcm=K.
AntiStrange

Homework Statement

A particle with mass 'm' and kinetic energy 'K' collides with a stationary particle of mass M. Then it says to find the total kinetic energy in the center of mass system 'Kcm'.
The answer is:
[tex]K_{cm} = \frac{M}{M + m}K[/tex]

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum: total initial momentum = total final momentum
KE = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of momentum:
[tex]m(v_{1}) = (m + M)v_{2}[/tex]
where v1 is the velocity of the particle with mass 'm' and v2 is the velocity after the collision of both particles moving together (assuming this happens).

Then I just solved for v2 and tried to find the kinetic energy now which I assumed would be Kcm:
[tex]K_{cm} = \frac{m}{2(m + M)}K[/tex]
which looks pretty close except it's supposed to be a M on top, not a m, and there is no 2 in the denominator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempted solution assumes that both bodies move with the same speed after the collision. That will not generally be the case. You will need to use both the momentum and energy equations in the lab frame, find the motion of the CM in the lab frame, then transform to the CM frame and calculate the energies there.

@AntiStrange : I have calculated the equation, and I find the my answer is the same as the answer key assuming that the collision is inelastic ( tow particles moving together ). My hypothesis is that you made a mathematics mistake ( equation mistake ) .

@tms : We can't do this question without assuming that it's an inelastic collision. Because if it's an elastic collision, the Kcm must be the same as K ( no energy is gone )

prob_solv said:
@AntiStrange : I have calculated the equation, and I find the my answer is the same as the answer key assuming that the collision is inelastic ( tow particles moving together ). My hypothesis is that you made a mathematics mistake ( equation mistake ) .

@tms : We can't do this question without assuming that it's an inelastic collision. Because if it's an elastic collision, the Kcm must be the same as K ( no energy is gone )

The problem says nothing about calculating the energy after the collision. Just calculate the kinetic energy of the center of mass before the collision starting from

[tex]K_{CM}=\frac{1}{2}(M+m)V^{2}_{CM}[/tex]

and expressing the VCM in terms of K.

After the collision, if the collision is elastic, the CM energy will be the same. If the collision is perfectly inelastic, the CM energy will be zero.

prob_solv said:

First, if the collision is inelastic, there is no way of telling, from the information given, how much energy is lost, so the problem can't be solved.

Second, kinetic energy is not an invariant under the Galilean transformation. Just consider two different masses, and look at the kinetic energy in the two frames in which one or the other mass is at rest.

Last edited:

Related to Solving for Kcm in Particle Collision Problem

1. How do I solve for Kcm in a particle collision problem?

To solve for Kcm, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and energy equations. You will also need to know the initial and final velocities and masses of the particles involved in the collision. Once you have all the necessary information, you can plug them into the equations and solve for Kcm.

2. What is the significance of solving for Kcm in a particle collision problem?

Kcm, or the center of mass kinetic energy, is an important quantity in particle collisions as it represents the total kinetic energy of the system. It can help determine the outcome of the collision and provide insights into the behavior of the particles involved.

3. Can I use Kcm to determine the direction of the particles after collision?

No, Kcm only represents the total kinetic energy of the system and does not provide information about the direction of the particles after collision. To determine the direction, you will need to use the conservation of momentum equation.

4. Is there a specific formula for solving for Kcm in a particle collision problem?

Yes, the formula for Kcm is Kcm = (m1v1^2 + m2v2^2)/2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the particles and v1 and v2 are their initial velocities.

5. Are there any limitations to solving for Kcm in a particle collision problem?

Yes, the conservation of momentum and energy equations can only be applied to elastic collisions, where there is no loss of kinetic energy. In inelastic collisions, additional equations and information are needed to solve for Kcm.