Solving for tesnion and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment that involves solving equations describing the motion of a system of two objects. The equations include FN - (6.50 kg)(9.80 m/s2) cos(13.0˚) = 0, Ff,k = 0.360(FN), FT + (6.50 kg)(9.80 m/s2) sin(13.0˚) - Ff,k = (6.50 kg) a, and -FT + (3.80 kg)(9.80 m/s2) = (3.80 kg) a. The goal is to solve for a and FT, as well as create a free-body diagram and describe a situation where
wesleyneary
I am stuck on a piece of my homework assignment

here it is

The following equations describe the motion of a system of two objects.
FN - (6.50 kg)(9.80 m/s2) cos(13.0˚) = 0
Ff,k = 0.360(FN)
FT + (6.50 kg)(9.80 m/s2) sin(13.0˚) - Ff,k = (6.50 kg) a
-FT + (3.80 kg)(9.80 m/s2) = (3.80 kg) a

(a) Solve the equations for a and FT. (b) Draw a free-body diagram for both objects. (c)
Describe a situation to which these equations apply.

I have solved for FN and then solved for Ff,k using that information

FN=62.07N and Ff,k+22.35 N (assuming i did my algebra correctly)

form here i know if i solve for acceleration of Ftension i can solve for the other.

I tried using a system of equations to solve for "a" by solving for Ft in on equation and plugging it into to other. when i do that i end up with the variable I am solving for cancelling out.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will help you see more clearly if you simplify your nottation - call the normal force N, the friction f, and the tension T. I don't know what your notation Ff,k may be.
It also helps to leave all the variables in place and do the algebra before plugging the numbers in.

You have made a mistake in the algebra - I suspect you misplaced a minus sign.
Go through it formally starting from the two equations you are using, write them down, write down each step in the process, take care of the minus sign when you do the substitution and again when you solve for a.

FAQ: Solving for tesnion and acceleration

1. How do you solve for tension and acceleration in a physics problem?

To solve for tension and acceleration in a physics problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and draw a free body diagram. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion and set up equations for the forces in the x and y direction. Finally, solve for the unknown values using algebraic manipulation.

2. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration?

The relationship between tension and acceleration is that tension is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that as tension increases, acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can tension and acceleration have opposite directions?

Yes, tension and acceleration can have opposite directions. This occurs when an object is slowing down or decelerating, and the tension force is acting in the opposite direction to the motion of the object.

4. How do you determine the direction of tension and acceleration in a problem?

The direction of tension and acceleration can be determined by looking at the direction of the motion of the object and the forces acting on it. Tension will always act in the direction of the rope or string, while acceleration will act in the direction of the net force.

5. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension and acceleration?

Static tension and acceleration refer to situations where an object is not moving or is moving at a constant velocity. In this case, the net force is equal to zero and the acceleration is also equal to zero. Dynamic tension and acceleration refer to situations where an object is accelerating or changing its velocity. In this case, there is a net force acting on the object and its acceleration is not equal to zero.