Solving for the Length of a Cubical Tank using Related Rates

In summary, the water flowing into a cubical tank at a rate of 19 L/s causes the top surface of the water to rise by 3.7 cm every second. To find the length of each side of the tank, you can use the equation V=L^3, where V is the flow rate in cm^3 per second and L is the length of each side of the tank in cm. By removing units from the equation and solving for L, we get L=√(V/3.7), which in this case gives us a length of 41.37 cm for each side of the tank.
shortman12012

Homework Statement

Water flows into a cubical tank at a rate of 19 L/s. If the top surface of the water in the tank is rising by 3.7 cm every second, what is the length of each side of the tank?

Homework Equations

v=L^3

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I started doing was

dV/ds = 3l^2 dl/ds
changed 19 L/sec into cm^3 which is 19000
19000 = 3l^2(3.7)
19000 = 11.1l^2
divided both sides by 11.1
1711.71 = l^2
then took the square root of both sides to get
41.37 cm
however when i put in the answer for my homework, it says the answer is wrong, i have 10 tries, so i was wondering what am i doing wrong or what is the right way to do this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
1 Liter is a cubic decimeter

1 liter is also 1000 centimeters^3

shortman12012 said:

Homework Statement

Water flows into a cubical tank at a rate of 19 L/s. If the top surface of the water in the tank is rising by 3.7 cm every second, what is the length of each side of the tank?

Homework Equations

v=L^3

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I started doing was

dV/ds = 3l^2 dl/ds
changed 19 L/sec into cm^3 which is 19000
19000 = 3l^2(3.7)
19000 = 11.1l^2
divided both sides by 11.1
1711.71 = l^2
then took the square root of both sides to get
41.37 cm
however when i put in the answer for my homework, it says the answer is wrong, i have 10 tries, so i was wondering what am i doing wrong or what is the right way to do this problem

Sometimes, in problems like this one, you get nothing but trouble if you use units within your equations. It is better to express things like this: the inflow rate is V liter/sec, where V = 19. (Here, V is dimensionless.) If the sides of the tank have length x cm, the flow rate in cm^3 per sec is 3.7*x^2. (Note: here, x is dimensionless, as is the 3.7, because I said the width was x cm and 3.7 is the number of cm per second.) Now just clear up liters vs cm^3 and you are done.

RGV

sorry but I'm not following you on your explanation. I understand about taking out all the units, but then where did you get 3.7*x^2 from and what is the final equation you are using?

Related to Solving for the Length of a Cubical Tank using Related Rates

1. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of calculus problem where the rate of change of one quantity is related to the rate of change of another quantity. This means that as one quantity changes, the other quantity also changes, and we need to find the relationship between the two rates of change.

2. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include problems involving changing shapes (such as inflating a balloon or filling a cone with water), problems involving rates of change of distances (such as a ladder sliding down a wall), and problems involving rates of change of areas or volumes (such as a spherical balloon being filled with air).

3. How do I solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you first need to identify which quantities are changing and how they are related. Then, you can use the chain rule to find the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another. Finally, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. What is the chain rule and how is it used in related rates problems?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that allows us to find the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another when the two quantities are related by a function. In related rates problems, we can use the chain rule to find the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another by taking the derivative of the function that relates the two quantities.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all given quantities and the quantity to be found, identifying the known and unknown rates of change, and using the chain rule to relate the rates of change. It's also important to carefully read the problem and set up the equation correctly before solving for the unknown rate of change.