Calculating Velocity & Acceleration of a Particle at r(t)

In summary, the position of a particle at time t is given by r(t)=(2cost)i+(3sint)j+4tk. To find the particle's velocity and acceleration vectors, take the derivative of r(t). The particle's speed and direction of motion can be found by taking the magnitude of the velocity vector and plugging in the given value of t. The particle's velocity at that time is the product of its speed and direction. To simplify, use the trigonometric identities sin^2+cos^2=1 and sin(t)=cos(t)=1/2.
JoeSabs

Homework Statement

r(t) is the position of a particle in space at time t. Find the particle's velocity and acceleration vectors. Then find the particle's speed and direction of motion at the given value of t. Write the particle's velocity at that time as the product of its speed and direction.

r(t)=(2cost)i+(3sint)j+4tk; t=pi/2

Homework Equations

sin^2+cos^2=1
length of v= sqrt(vi+vj+vk) if vi is the first coefficient of velocity equation, vj 2nd, vk 3rd.

The Attempt at a Solution

v(t)= (-2sint)i+(3cost)j+4k

|v(t)| (length)=2sqrt(5), but I don't know how to get this.

sqrt(((-2sin(t))^2)+((3cos(t))^2)+(4^2))
sqrt((4sin^2(t))+(9cos^2(t))+(16))
?
Are you supposed to somehow remove the coefficients to use cos^2+sin^2? I tried this to no avail. I also tried using the sin^2(x)= (1-cos2x)/2, and the cos one too, but that didn't work either.

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks to me like you have the correct answer. Just put t=Pi/2 into your last expression. You get sqrt(20) which is the same as 2sqrt(5).

Ah, I see! Plug in before trying to simplify. That's very easy, just out of the normal order of operations I'm used to. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity and acceleration of a particle at r(t)?

The formula for velocity is v(t) = dr(t)/dt, where dr(t) is the change in position over time. The formula for acceleration is a(t) = d^2r(t)/dt^2, where d^2r(t) is the change in velocity over time.

2. How do you find the position of a particle at a specific time using velocity and acceleration?

To find the position of a particle at a specific time, you can use the formula r(t) = r0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where r0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

3. Can you calculate velocity and acceleration without knowing the position of the particle?

Yes, velocity and acceleration can be calculated without knowing the position of the particle. Velocity can be calculated using the formula v(t) = dr(t)/dt, and acceleration can be calculated using the formula a(t) = d^2r(t)/dt^2.

4. How does the graph of velocity vs. time differ from the graph of acceleration vs. time?

The graph of velocity vs. time shows the change in velocity over time, while the graph of acceleration vs. time shows the change in acceleration over time. The slope of the velocity vs. time graph represents the acceleration, while the slope of the acceleration vs. time graph represents the change in acceleration.

5. Can you calculate the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of a particle at a specific time?

Yes, the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of a particle can be calculated at a specific time by taking the derivative of the position function and the second derivative of the position function, respectively. This will give the velocity and acceleration at that specific time.