Solving for Theta: Understanding the Last Step

• Thread starter Checkfate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for \Theta in the equation 2\tan\Theta-2=0 with the given inequality of 0\leq\Theta\leq2\pi. The person does not fully understand the last step in the book's solution, where they reduce the equation to \Theta=\tan^{-1}(1). They question why the book does not include \frac{5\pi}{4} as a solution and someone explains that it is because the given inequality only allows for two solutions, \frac{5\pi}{4} and \frac{\pi}{4}. The person then understands and thanks the person for their explanation.
Checkfate
I don't really understand a step in my textbook, and I think it is better that I understand why they are doing it this way instead of just brushing it off and it coming back to haunt me later!

The question is : Solve for [tex]\Theta, 0\leq\Theta\leq2\pi[/tex]

[tex]2\tan\Theta-2=0[/tex]

I get the right answer, but their last step confuses me...

This is how they show their work :

[tex]2\tan\Theta=2[/tex]

[tex]\tan\Theta=1[/tex]

[tex]\Theta=\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] I don't fully grasp this step...

I understand that tan is 1 at [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] since sin and cosine are both [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex] at that point. But how can you call tan pi/2 when it also is 1 at [tex]\frac{5\pi}{4}[/tex]... Can someone explain what they are doing? They don't even give [tex]\frac{5\pi}{4}[/tex] as an answer in their equation, they just state it later in a sentence after the question.

Thanks..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I understand now, fairly simple. Just convert the equation to [tex]\Theta=tan^{-1}(1)[/tex]

[tex]\Theta=\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

This trigonometry stuff is slowly eating my brain, lol. ahh!

I guess I don't understand. [itex]\frac{5\pi}{4}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] both work, they are both solutions to the equation [itex]2tan\theta -2 = 0[/itex]. Reducing the equation to [itex]\theta=tan^{-1}(1)[/itex] isn't the answer since you have to pick which part of tangent you want to invert. Putting [itex]tan^{-1}(1)[/itex] into your calculator will give you [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] but this is not the only answer. It would be if your inequality read something like [itex]0\leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] but it doesn't. You're looking for all solutions between zero and [itex]2\pi[/itex]. I'm not sure why your book doesn't include both solutions though, that's odd. But you were right to be bothered by this.

hmm...[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] is your alpha.after getting your alpha,you are suppose to use it in the general solution and for tan,it is n[tex]{pi}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] where n is all real number.since the question ask for [tex]\Theta, 0\leq\Theta\leq2\pi[/tex], the only 2 are [tex]\frac{5\pi}{4}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] coz your n can only take 0 and 1.get it?

Last edited:
I guess that makes sense :approve: I just thought that they should show that in their algebraic answer, but what you are saying makes sense and seems to coincide with their instructions. Thanks

Related to Solving for Theta: Understanding the Last Step

What is the last step in solving for theta?

The last step in solving for theta is to use inverse trigonometric functions to find the value of theta.

Why is it important to solve for theta?

Solving for theta allows us to find the missing angle in a triangle or the angle of rotation in a circular motion, which is crucial in many mathematical and scientific calculations.

What are the common inverse trigonometric functions used to solve for theta?

The most commonly used inverse trigonometric functions to solve for theta are sine, cosine, and tangent inverse (arcsin, arccos, arctan).

What are some key concepts to understand in order to solve for theta?

In order to solve for theta, one must have a strong understanding of basic trigonometric functions, right triangle trigonometry, and the unit circle.

Are there any tips for solving for theta?

Some tips for solving for theta include drawing a diagram, labeling all known values, and using the appropriate inverse trigonometric function based on the given information. It is also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.