Solving for x and y with Radical Expressions

In summary: Yes, implicit differentiation. Or you can kick -2x^2+10 to the right hand hand and multiply both sides by the power of 1/3. It is the same amount of work. I cannot show you the full steps because it is against site policy. You have to attempt it first.
new hand

Homework Statement

3(√x2+xy)-2x2+10=0

The Attempt at a Solution

There are x and y on the same side. If I expand it directly, it is so complicated!
Can anyone show me the full step?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, implicit differentiation. Or you can kick -2x^2+10 to the right hand hand and multiply both sides by the power of 1/3. It is the same amount of work. I cannot show you the full steps because it is against site policy. You have to attempt it first.

Are you familiar with implicit differentiation? I won't go into why it works just give you an algorithm.

If not, I will give an example.

yx=3+x

we take the derivative (dy/dx) on both sides of the equation.

so (dy/dx)(yx)=(dy/dx)(3+x)

working with the right side we have,

(dy/dx)3 + (dy/dx)x or we can just keep it the same as the above step.

we end up on the right with 0+1=1.

now working with the left hand side, we have

(dy/dx)(yx). Apply the product rule of differentiation.

y(dy/dx)x+x(dy/dx)y =y + x(dy/dx)

now combine the left and right hand signs.

y+x(dy/dx)=1

Isolate the (dy/dx).

(dy/dx)= (1-y)/x. You can get rid of the y by using the original equation an isolating for y and substituting that y into the final equation.

In short, you preform differentiation through out the whole problem. Every time you see y remember to keep (dy/dx) next to it.

I know this explanation is hand-wavy, but I don't want to go into the specifics.

Likes new hand
new hand said:

Homework Statement

3(√x2+xy)-2x2+10=0

The Attempt at a Solution

There are x and y on the same side. If I expand it directly, it is so complicated!
Can anyone show me the full step?
Thanks!

First check and confirm you wrote it out correctly.
It is possible but unlikely your were given in a problem √x 2 which is just x.

It does not look prohibitive to me to express this as y = something, but you are right, it is always right, to seek something simpler.

You can just go through a series of stuff you usually do for things inside brackets (function of a function etc.) but in the end you come up against differentiating x2y . Which is just product rule:

d[x2y]/dx = 2xy + x2(dy/dx).

This Is probably a reminder of something known to you, no difficulty of calculation, the only barrier is knowing it is allowed. So why wouldn't it be?

You can from the result of all that in this case get dy/dx = some function of x alone. As complicated as you would have got the other way. Not always is it necessary, not always will it be possible.

(Oops had not seen .MD's post.)

Likes new hand
MidgetDwarf, please do not use the phrase "multiply both sides by the power of 1/3", which is confusing. Say "take the 1/3 power of both sides".

MidgetDwarf said:
Yes, implicit differentiation. Or you can kick -2x^2+10 to the right hand hand and multiply both sides by the power of 1/3. It is the same amount of work. I cannot show you the full steps because it is against site policy. You have to attempt it first.

Are you familiar with implicit differentiation? I won't go into why it works just give you an algorithm.

If not, I will give an example.

yx=3+x

we take the derivative (dy/dx) on both sides of the equation.

so (dy/dx)(yx)=(dy/dx)(3+x)

working with the right side we have,

(dy/dx)3 + (dy/dx)x or we can just keep it the same as the above step.

we end up on the right with 0+1=1.

now working with the left hand side, we have

(dy/dx)(yx). Apply the product rule of differentiation.

y(dy/dx)x+x(dy/dx)y =y + x(dy/dx)

now combine the left and right hand signs.

y+x(dy/dx)=1

Isolate the (dy/dx).

(dy/dx)= (1-y)/x. You can get rid of the y by using the original equation an isolating for y and substituting that y into the final equation.

In short, you preform differentiation through out the whole problem. Every time you see y remember to keep (dy/dx) next to it.

I know this explanation is hand-wavy, but I don't want to go into the specifics.
That's really nice! Thank you anyway ^^

Could you clarify:
Does 3(√x2+xy) = ##^3\sqrt{x^2 + xy} = (x^2 + xy) ^{1/3}## ?

Related to Solving for x and y with Radical Expressions

1. What is interesting differentiation?

Interesting differentiation is a scientific concept that involves identifying and understanding the unique characteristics and properties of different objects or organisms. It is a way of categorizing and classifying things based on their distinct features and functions.

2. How is interesting differentiation used in science?

Interesting differentiation is used in various fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, and geology, to help scientists better understand the world around us. It allows them to study and compare different species, substances, and geological formations to gain insights into their origins, behaviors, and relationships.

3. What are some examples of interesting differentiation?

Examples of interesting differentiation include classifying animals based on their physical characteristics, categorizing rocks and minerals based on their chemical composition, and grouping plants based on their reproductive methods. In each of these examples, scientists use interesting differentiation to identify and study the unique features of different organisms or materials.

4. How does interesting differentiation differ from regular differentiation?

Interesting differentiation differs from regular differentiation in that it focuses on identifying and understanding unique characteristics and properties, rather than just distinguishing between similar objects or organisms. Regular differentiation is often used in mathematics to find the rate of change, while interesting differentiation is used in science to study and compare different aspects of the natural world.

5. Why is interesting differentiation important in science?

Interesting differentiation is important in science because it allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and its diverse range of components. By studying and categorizing different objects and organisms, scientists can uncover patterns and relationships that can provide valuable insights into the origins and workings of our planet and its inhabitants.