Solving Friction Problem: Accelerating Wounded Soldier Out of Line of Fire

  • Thread starter Thread starter bob24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
bob24
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A wounded soldier caught in Line of fire is pulled away by his comrade with a force of 70lbs at 65 degrees. The wounded solider(with his gear) weighs 180 lbs and the coefficient of friction between him and ground is .55
How quickly will he be accelerated out of harms way?


Homework Equations


u=coefficient of friction
f=uF, w=mg, F-f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


f=uFn
f=(.55)(180-64.44lbs)
f=64.108lbs

w=mg
180=m(32.2)
5.59kg=mass

I don't know what to do(correctly) after this. Have I done anything wrong in the steps shown above?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two components to the force applied.

The vertical component lessens the frictional load.
The horizontal component is what you will have offset by the frictional drag.

Personally I would convert straight away to SI units.

1 lb force = 4.448 N
 
Our teacher wants us to keep the values like I have put there though. What should I do after finding the friction?
Do I use F-f=ma? If I do this, the answer I get is -6.176 ft/s(squared). So that means that he won't be accelerated away right?
 
If the horizontal component of the applied force is less than the maximum needed to overcome friction ... then whoever is doing the pulling should seek shelter.