Solving Gauss Law Question: Q/(πR^4)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the parameter a for a charge distributed throughout a spherical volume. The solution involves considering the total charge at the surface of the sphere and using the linear law for charge density. The conversation also includes a question about finding the electric field between two parallel charged wires and a question about finding the net charge inside a cubical box. The provided solutions for these questions can be found in the links provided, but there may be some discrepancies in the answers.
Crocodile
Hi

Im getting a slightly different answer to the one that is needed for the following question:

2) A positive charge Q is distributed throughout a spherical volume of radius R in vacuum.
The charge density rho varies with the radius according to the linear law rho = a r. Show that the parameter a is Q/(pi R^4).

I started by saying that I'm looking at the position where r=R, i.e. at the surface itself. At this point the total charge Q must be present. Hence Q= rho x volume = a x r x volume, and as R=r Q= a x R x volume. Therefore Q = a x r x (4/3)pi R^3, which gives an a similar to the one required, but multiplied by 3/4.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Q = rho x volume is only correct if rho is constant throughout the volume, which its not. This is just like distance = speed x time is only true if the speed is constant throughout the time.

question;Two parallel, uniformly charged, infinitely long wires carry opposite charges with a linear charge density λ = 3.29 μC/m and are 5.35 cm apart. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a point midway between them and 50.3 cm above the plane containing the two wires?

my solution;http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/zmsal2.jpg/

question:
The six faces of a cubical box each measure 23.0 cm by 23.0 cm, and the faces are numbered such that faces 1 and 6 are opposite to each other, as are faces 2 and 5, and faces 3 and 4. The flux through each face is:

Face Flux (N m2/C)
1 -194
2 -107
3 -251
4 -500
5 -312
6 -268
Find the net charge inside the cube.

my solution:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/zmsal3.jpg/

can you check my solutıon please,ı thınk somethıng ıs wrong about my answers...

Related to Solving Gauss Law Question: Q/(πR^4)

1. What is Gauss' law and how is it used?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that explains the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This law is used to calculate electric fields in situations with high symmetry, such as a spherical charge distribution.

2. What is the formula for solving Gauss' law question Q/(πR^4)?

The formula for solving Gauss' law question Q/(πR^4) is E = Q/(4πε_0 R^2), where E is the electric field, Q is the total enclosed charge, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, and R is the distance from the center of the charge distribution to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. How do you determine the direction of the electric field using Gauss' law?

The direction of the electric field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the enclosed charge is positive, the electric field points away from the charge distribution. If the enclosed charge is negative, the electric field points towards the charge distribution.

4. Can Gauss' law be used for all charge distributions?

No, Gauss' law can only be used for charge distributions with high symmetry, such as spherical, cylindrical, or planar distributions. For more complex charge distributions, other methods such as integration must be used to calculate the electric field.

5. How is Gauss' law related to Coulomb's law?

Gauss' law is a generalization of Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Gauss' law allows us to calculate the electric field for charge distributions, while Coulomb's law only applies to point charges.