Solving Linear Homogeneous ODEs with Variable Coefficients

In summary: The laplace and Fourier transforms can be used to solve linear ODE's with variable coefficients, but they are not the most general methods. Series solutions are the most general.
foxjwill

Homework Statement

Is there a standard method for finding the general solution to any given linear homogeneous ODE?

I tried working it out myself. Here's what I tried. I'm almost positive it's wrong because it doesn't take into account most of the coefficients. But maybe I'm on the right track?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]a_0(x)y + a_1(x)y' + \cdots + a_{n-1}(x)y^{(n-1)} + y^{(n)} = b(x)\qquad\qquad\qquad(1)[/tex]​

Now, recall that the product rule for derivatives of order [tex]n[/tex] is

[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[f(x)g(x)] = {\sum^n_{k=0} \binom{n}{k} f^{(k)}(x)g^{(n-k)}}(x).[/tex]​

We want to find some function [tex]u(x)[/tex] that, when multiplied to both sides of [tex](1)[/tex], will put the left side in the form of the [tex]n[/tex]th degree product rule. In other words,

[tex]u(x)a_0(x)y + u(x)a_1(x)y' + \cdots + u(x)y^{(n)} = \frac{d^n}{dx^n}[u(x)y]\qquad\qquad\qquad(2)[/tex]​

After expanding [tex](2)[/tex], we can set each term of the left side equal to the corresponding term on the right (e.g. [tex]u(x)a_2(x) y' = u^{(n-1)}(x)y'[/tex] ) and, after canceling out the all the [tex]y[/tex]'s, form a system. Also note that since [tex]u(x)y^{(n)}[/tex] appears on both sides of [tex](2)[/tex] it cancels out. From here until I say otherwise, all functions will be referenced, for convenience, without the "[tex](x)[/tex]" appended to it.

[tex]
\left \{
\begin{array}{lcl}
u^{(n)} &=& u a_0\\
u^{(n-1)} &=& \dbinom{n}{1} u a_1\\
& \vdots\\
u'' &=& \dbinom{n}{n-2} u a_{n-2}\\
u' &=& \dbinom{n}{n-1} u a_{n-1}\\
\end{array}
\right .
\qquad\qquad\qquad(3)[/tex]​

Rearranging [tex](3)[/tex], we have

[tex]
\left \{
\begin{array}{lcl}
\dfrac{u^{n}}{u^{(n-1)}} &=& \dfrac{a_1}{a_0} \\
\\
\dfrac{u^{(n-1)}}{u^{(n-2)}} &=& \dbinom{n}{1} \dfrac{a_2}{a_1}\\
& \vdots\\
\dfrac{u'''}{u''} &=& \dbinom{n}{n-2} \dfrac{a_{n-2}}{a_{n-3}}\\
\\
\dfrac{u''}{u'} &=& \dbinom{n}{n-1} \dfrac{a_{n-1}}{a_{n-2}}\\
\end{array}
\right .
\qquad\qquad\qquad(4)[/tex]​

Solving each equation in [tex](4)[/tex], we get

[tex]u^{(k)} = e^{\binom{n}{n-k} {\int \frac{a_{n-k}}{a_{n-(k+1)}}dx }}[/tex].​

Setting [tex]k=0[/tex],

[tex]u(x) = e^{\int \frac{a_n(x)}{a_{n-1}(x)}dx}\qquad\qquad\qquad(5)[/tex]​

Now, going back to [tex](1)[/tex] and [tex](2)[/tex], since, by definition,

[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[u(x)y] = u(x)b(x),[/tex]​

we can plug in [tex](5)[/tex],
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n}\left[ e^{\int \frac{a_n(x)}{a_{n-1}(x)}dx} y \right] = e^{\int \frac{a_n(x)}{a_{n-1}(x)}dx}b(x)\qquad\qquad\qquad(6)[/tex]​

and then antidifferentiate, which, at the moment, I am feeling too lazy to actually do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are there not various methods to solve first order ODE's with constant coefficients such as variables are separable,integrating factor and such?

rock.freak667 said:
Are there not various methods to solve first order ODE's with constant coefficients such as variables are separable,integrating factor and such?

Yes, but I was wondering about methods to solve general degree ODE's with variable coefficients.

You have introduced one function [tex]u(x)[/tex] and you also have n equations in equation (3).

In general your solution for [tex]k=0[/tex], i.e. equation (5), does not satisfy all members of equation (3).
Thus there is no [tex]u(x)[/tex] in general.

Series solutions (including Frobenius' method) are the most general methods of solving linear equations.

Rainbow Child said:
You have introduced one function [tex]u(x)[/tex] and you also have n equations in equation (3).

In general your solution for [tex]k=0[/tex], i.e. equation (5), does not satisfy all members of equation (3).
Thus there is no [tex]u(x)[/tex] in general.

Yeah. I had a feeling it was something like that.

HallsofIvy said:
Series solutions (including Frobenius' method) are the most general methods of solving linear equations.

Hm. Darn. I don't like using series solutions. They're so cumbersome. Ah, well.

Also, I'm assuming the laplace and Fourier transforms, in general, can't be used to solve linear ODE's with variable coefficients? I know that there are a few specific cases where they work, but, yeah.

1. What is a general linear ODE?

A general linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is linear because the function and its derivatives appear only in a linear form, meaning they are not multiplied or divided by each other.

2. How do you solve a general linear ODE?

To solve a general linear ODE, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, using an integrating factor, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The method used depends on the specific form of the ODE and its initial conditions.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a general linear ODE?

Initial conditions are necessary in solving a general linear ODE because they provide the starting point for the solution. These conditions specify the value of the function and its derivatives at a specific point, which allows for the determination of the constants in the general solution.

4. Can a general linear ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a general linear ODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a linear ODE contains an arbitrary constant, which can take on different values for different solutions. However, the number of distinct solutions is typically equal to the order of the ODE.

5. How are general linear ODE's used in science?

General linear ODE's are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology, to model and understand the behavior of systems that change over time. They are also used to solve problems in areas such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and population growth.