Solving Log Equations: Proving LHS = RHS

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
Yes you are correct. I can assure you that I type the question correctly. I also think that this question can't be solved.Maybe you can propose a revision for this question? I mean, change the question a little bit to make it solvable....I am not sure what the purpose of this problem is. The only way I can think of to "solve" it is to use a calculator to graph both sides and find where they intersect.
songoku

Homework Statement

[tex]1. \frac{x^{log~7x^2}}{7 x^{log~4x}}=7^{log_2 2~-1}[/tex]

[tex]2. 100 x^{log x~-1}+x^{log_2 x ~-2}=20000[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The RHS = 1, so xlog 7x2 = 7 xlog 4x

Stuck...

2. Completely dunno...

:frown:

PS: log is not natural logarithm

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Stuck...

2. Completely dunno...

For the first one, so far so good.

Next step: take logs of both sides. Use the laws of logs to manipulate everything till it becomes a quadratic equation in log(x) and logs of constants only. Let m = log(x) and solve the quadratic the usual way.

Haven't had time to look at the second one yet.

songoku said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Stuck...

2. Completely dunno...

So ...

What are you supposed to do?

What is the problem statement as it was given to you?

Also, if log is not the natural logarithm, what does log represent?

Curious3141 said:
For the first one, so far so good.

Next step: take logs of both sides. Use the laws of logs to manipulate everything till it becomes a quadratic equation in log(x) and logs of constants only. Let m = log(x) and solve the quadratic the usual way.

Haven't had time to look at the second one yet.

xlog 7x2 = 7 xlog 4x

(log 7x2)(log x) = log 7 + log 4x. log x

(log 7 + 2 log x)(log x) = log 7 + (log 4 + log x)(log x)

Let m = log(x), then:
(log 7 + 2m) m = log 7 + (log 4 + m) m
m log 7 + 2m2 = log 7 + m log 4 + m2
m2 + (log 7/4) m - log 7 = 0

Using quadratic formula to solve for m will give a not very nice result and I don't know how to get the value of x from that

SammyS said:
So ...

What are you supposed to do?

What is the problem statement as it was given to you?

Also, if log is not the natural logarithm, what does log represent?

The problem is to solve the equation, i.e find the x satisfies the equation.

log is logarithm with base 10

songoku said:

Homework Statement

For the first one, I suggest multiplying both sides by 7, then
combine exponents on the left side.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^{\log~7x^2}}{ x^{\log~4x}}=7\cdot7^{\log_2 2~-1}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle x^{\log~7x^2-\log~4x}=7\cdot7^{\log_2 2~-1}[/itex]

Simplify the right side. Take the log10 of both sides.

SammyS said:
For the first one, I suggest multiplying both sides by 7, then
combine exponents on the left side.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^{\log~7x^2}}{ x^{\log~4x}}=7\cdot7^{\log_2 2~-1}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle x^{\log~7x^2-\log~4x}=7\cdot7^{\log_2 2~-1}[/itex]

Simplify the right side. Take the log10 of both sides.

The right side will be 7 and after taking log10 of both sides I get the same result as above: m2 + log(7/4) m - log 7 = 0

Did I make any mistakes?

songoku said:
xlog 7x2 = 7 xlog 4x

(log 7x2)(log x) = log 7 + log 4x. log x

(log 7 + 2 log x)(log x) = log 7 + (log 4 + log x)(log x)

Let m = log(x), then:
(log 7 + 2m) m = log 7 + (log 4 + m) m
m log 7 + 2m2 = log 7 + m log 4 + m2
m2 + (log 7/4) m - log 7 = 0

Using quadratic formula to solve for m will give a not very nice result and I don't know how to get the value of x from that

You have the right equation. Are you expecting a "nice" answer? In any case, you can still manipulate the result to get you a value in terms of logs, it's just not very "nice".

Curious3141 said:
You have the right equation. Are you expecting a "nice" answer? In any case, you can still manipulate the result to get you a value in terms of logs, it's just not very "nice".

Yeah I am expecting nice answer, although the correct answer may not be nice :biggrin:

So the answer will be:
x = 10^(the result of quadratic formula)

songoku said:
Yeah I am expecting nice answer, although the correct answer may not be nice :biggrin:

So the answer will be:
x = 10^(the result of quadratic formula)

Pretty much. I haven't really tried simplifying it too hard, but I checked at least the positive root (after taking the antilog) and it's definitely the correct solution.

If you have access to Maple/Mathematica, you can try and see if you can get it to a nice form. Then you know whether it's worth trying to expend effort working towards it. :biggrin:

Curious3141 said:
Pretty much. I haven't really tried simplifying it too hard, but I checked at least the positive root (after taking the antilog) and it's definitely the correct solution.

If you have access to Maple/Mathematica, you can try and see if you can get it to a nice form. Then you know whether it's worth trying to expend effort working towards it. :biggrin:

OK. What about the second one?

songoku said:
OK. What about the second one?

No insights yet, I'm afraid. Just to be clear, could you confirm that the exponent on the first term is a common log (base 10), while the one on the second term is a base-2 log? And the first term is multiplied by 100?

Doesn't look tractable (for an exact solution) if that's the right question. But I'll think about it some more.

Curious3141 said:
No insights yet, I'm afraid. Just to be clear, could you confirm that the exponent on the first term is a common log (base 10), while the one on the second term is a base-2 log? And the first term is multiplied by 100?

Doesn't look tractable (for an exact solution) if that's the right question. But I'll think about it some more.

Yes you are correct. I can assure you that I type the question correctly. I also think that this question can't be solved.

Maybe you can propose a revision for this question? I mean, change the question a little bit to make it solvable. :D

songoku said:
Yes you are correct. I can assure you that I type the question correctly. I also think that this question can't be solved.

Maybe you can propose a revision for this question? I mean, change the question a little bit to make it solvable. :D
If you change the second problem to
$$100x^{(\log x) - 1}+x^{(\log x^2) - 2} = 20000$$it becomes solvable.

vela said:

Yes, that one's very easy. Almost immediately becomes a quadratic in [itex]x^{\log x - 1}[/itex]. Discriminant is a perfect square too, so nice solutions.

[itex]x^{\log x - 1} = N[/itex] can be reduced to another quadratic in [itex]\log x[/itex] by rearranging and taking logs of both sides. Easy peasy.

Thanks vela, for "revising" the question. :smile: Hopefully, songoku will now chime in and say that's what he meant all along. :biggrin:

Last edited:
vela said:

Curious3141 said:
Yes, that one's very easy. Almost immediately becomes a quadratic in [itex]x^{\log x - 1}[/itex]. Discriminant is a perfect square too, so nice solutions.

[itex]x^{\log x - 1} = N[/itex] can be reduced to another quadratic in [itex]\log x[/itex] by rearranging and taking logs of both sides. Easy peasy.

Thanks vela, for "revising" the question. :smile: Hopefully, songoku will now chime in and say that's what he meant all along. :biggrin:

Here I come ! :biggrin:

Unfortunately, I typed the correct question that was given to me :-p But for now, let's assume that vela's version is how the question should be :smile:

Thanks a lot for the help Curious, Sammy and vela o:)

Related to Solving Log Equations: Proving LHS = RHS

1. What are log equations and why do we need to solve them?

Log equations involve the use of logarithms, which are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential functions. They are commonly used in scientific and mathematical calculations, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. We need to solve log equations in order to find the value of the unknown variable or to prove that two expressions are equal.

2. How do we solve log equations?

To solve log equations, we need to use the properties of logarithms, which include the product, quotient, and power rules. These rules allow us to manipulate the equations and simplify them until we are left with a single logarithmic expression. Then, we can use the definition of logarithms to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the process for proving that LHS (left-hand side) = RHS (right-hand side) in log equations?

The process for proving that LHS = RHS in log equations involves setting the two expressions equal to each other and using algebraic manipulation and the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation until both sides are equal. This may involve expanding logarithmic expressions, combining like terms, and using the inverse operations of logarithms.

4. Can log equations have more than one solution?

Yes, log equations can have more than one solution. This is because logarithms are not one-to-one functions, meaning that multiple inputs can result in the same output. In some cases, a log equation may have an infinite number of solutions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving log equations?

One common mistake to avoid when solving log equations is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. This can occur when we apply a logarithmic rule that is not applicable to the original equation, resulting in a solution that does not satisfy the original equation. It is important to always check the solutions in the original equation to ensure they are valid.