Solving Loudspeaker Delay in 30ms for 5.0m

• Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay
In summary, for large concerts, loudspeakers are used to amplify a singer's sound. The desired effect is achieved by adding a delay to the signal sent to the loudspeaker, as the human brain interprets sounds within 50 ms of the original sound as coming from the same source. In the given scenario, where the loudspeaker is 5.0m behind the singer and the desired delay is 30 ms, the necessary delay is approximately 0.0648 ms. This can be calculated using the equation D = v/t, where D is the distance, v is the speed of sound, and t is the desired delay in seconds.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

For large concerts, loudspeakers are sometimes used to amplify a singer's sound. The human brain interprets sounds that arrive within 50 ms of the original sound as if they came from the same source. Thus if the sound from a loudspeaker reaches a listener first, it would sound as if the loudspeaker is the source of the sound. Conversely, if the singer is heard first and the loudspeaker adds to the sound within 50 ms, the sound would seem to come from the singer, who would now seem to be singing louder. The second situation is desired. Because the signal to the loudspeaker travels at the speed of light 3×108m/s , which is much faster than the speed of sound, a delay is added to the signal sent to the loudspeaker.

How much delay must be added if the loudspeaker is 5.0m behind the singer and we want its sound to arrive 30 ms after the singer's?

Homework Equations

D = v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a hard time figuring out what to do for this problem. I haven't made much progress. If i choose an arbitrary point, the sound from the singer travels a distance d to that point in time t. The sound from the speaker travels distance d + 5m in time t + 30 ms. This doesn't seem like useful information though. Can someone please help me get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried this following solution but it was useless:
the sound from the singer travels distance d where d = vt = 343t (343 is speed of sound in air)
the sound from the speaker travels d + 5 where d + 5 = vt = 343(t + 30) = 343(t-x+30) where x is the delay
when i solve the two equations for x i just end up with 30. I am confusing myself. Can someone give me a hint on how to set this problem up?

toothpaste666 said:
I tried this following solution but it was useless:
the sound from the singer travels distance d where d = vt = 343t (343 is speed of sound in air)
the sound from the speaker travels d + 5 where d + 5 = vt = 343(t + 30) = 343(t-x+30) where x is the delay
when i solve the two equations for x i just end up with 30. I am confusing myself. Can someone give me a hint on how to set this problem up?
I don't understand how you deduced x = 30 from those equations. Maybe your use of t to mean different things in different contexts has confused you.

this was my work
d = 343t
d+5 = 343(t-x+30) so d = 343(t-x+30)-5 = 343t - 343x + 343(30) - 5
setting the equations equal to each other
343t = 343t - 343x + 343(30) - 5
0 = -343x + 343(30) -5
343x = 343(30) - 5
343x = 10285
x = 30

so the mistake i made is using the same t for both situations?

Your error is that you have the speed of sound in m/s, but the acceptable delay is in ms, not 30 seconds.

ahh so it would be .343x = .343(30)-5
.343x = 5.29
x = .0648 ms

toothpaste666 said:
ahh so it would be .343x = .343(30)-5
.343x = 5.29
x = .0648 ms
You seem to have made an arithmetic error in the final step. Otherwise correct.

Likes toothpaste666
oh wow can't believe i did that. thank you!

What is the significance of solving loudspeaker delay?

Solving loudspeaker delay is important in ensuring accurate sound reproduction in a given space. It helps to prevent sound distortion and maintains the integrity of the audio signal.

What is the ideal delay time for loudspeakers?

The ideal delay time for loudspeakers depends on the size of the space and the distance between the listener and the speakers. In general, a delay of 30ms for a 5.0m distance is considered optimal for most audio setups.

What are the potential challenges in solving loudspeaker delay?

One of the main challenges in solving loudspeaker delay is identifying the correct delay time and setting it accurately. Other factors such as room acoustics, speaker placement, and equipment limitations can also impact the effectiveness of the solution.

How can loudspeaker delay be solved in 30ms for a 5.0m distance?

Loudspeaker delay can be solved by using digital signal processing (DSP) techniques. This involves adjusting the delay settings on the audio equipment to match the distance between the listener and the speakers. In some cases, additional equipment such as time alignment tools may also be needed.

What are the benefits of solving loudspeaker delay?

The main benefit of solving loudspeaker delay is improved sound quality. By ensuring that the sound reaches the listener's ears at the same time, the audio signal remains clear and accurate. This can enhance the overall listening experience and make the audio more immersive.