Solving Matrix Word Problem: Amanda, Bryce & Corey

In summary: This must not be the right way to set it up because I am not getting 5, 2 or 30. i need to know what it lokks like in matrix form.I'm not sure where you are getting the numbers on the right side. Assuming that the speeds are in mph, I would think the system would be this (corrections in bold), with the participants' total time on the right hand side (in hours):x/10 + y/4 + z/20 = 2.5x/7.5 + y/6 + z/15 = 3
wat2000
Amanda, Bryce, and Corey enter a race in which they have to run, swim, and cycle over a marked course. Their average speeds are given in the table. Corey finishes first with a total time of 1 hours 45minutes, Amanda comes in second with a time of 2 hours 30 minutes, and Bryce finishes last with a time of 3 hours. Find the distance (in miles) for each part of the race.(hint: use the motion formula d=rt)
amandas time 10 running, 4 swimming, and 20 cycling
Bryce 7.5, 6,and 15
corey 15, 3,40a. write the system of equations

b.set up the matrix equations AX=B and solve it

x/10 + y/4 + z/20 = 105/60
x/7.5 + y/6 + z/15 = 150/60
x/15 + y/3 + z/40 = 180/60

is this close?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matrix word aplication problem

Amanda, Bryce, and Corey enter a race in which they have to run, swim, and cycle over a marked course. Their average speeds are given in the table. Corey finishes first with a total time of 1 hours 45minutes, Amanda comes in second with a time of 2 hours 30 minutes, and Bryce finishes last with a time of 3 hours. Find the distance (in miles) for each part of the race.(hint: use the motion formula d=rt)
average speed(mi/h)
amanda: 10 running, 4 swimming, and 20 cycling
Bryce: 7.5 runnnig, 6swimming,and 15cycling
corey: 15 running, 3 swimming,40 cyclinga. write the system of equations

is this close? The answers in my book are 5 mile swim,2 mile swim,and 30 mile cycle. I can't get it though.

Last edited:

Are those times for running, swimming, and biking minutes per mile?

Also, if Corey finished in 1:45, that is 60 minutes + 45 minutes.

[tex]1+\frac{45}{60}=\frac{7}{4}[/itex]

Its their average speeds.

wat2000 said:
Its their average speeds.

Avg speed per mile?

yes i reworded it. My book says the answer is 5 mile run, 2 mile swim and 30 mile cycle. I think i could get this on my calculator using the matrix function if i could just get it set up right

This must not be the right way to set it up because I am not getting 5, 2 or 30. i need to know what it lokks like in matrix form.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you are getting the numbers on the right side. Assuming that the speeds are in mph, I would think the system would be this (corrections in bold), with the participants' total time on the right hand side (in hours):

x/10 + y/4 + z/20 = 2.5
x/7.5 + y/6 + z/15 = 3
x/15 + y/3 + z/40 = 1.75

I tried to do it like that and when i put it in my calculator to find the inverse matrix it didnt give me the 5 2 and 30 i needed. do you know what i did wrong? I see what you mean about the numbers. i must of typed them wrong. i went back and edited it. i still can't get the right answer though.

wat2000 said:
average speed(mi/h)
amanda: 10 running, 4 swimming, and 20 cycling
Bryce: 7.5 runnnig, 6swimming,and 15cycling
corey: 15 running, 3 swimming,40 cycling

a. write the system of equations

is this close?
Yes, it's close, but the numbers on the right sides aren't right.
x/10 + y/4 + z/20 = 2.5
x/7.5 + y/6 + z/15 = 3
x/15 + y/3 + z/40 = 1.75

The first equation represents Amanda's time of 2.5 hours; the second equation represents Bryce's time of 3 hours; the third equation represents Corey's time of 1.75 hours.

To solve this system, multiply through each equation to clear fractions, and then row reduce the matrix.

wat2000 said:
The answers in my book are 5 mile swim,2 mile swim,and 30 mile cycle. I can't get it though.

Dustinsfl said:
Are those times for running, swimming, and biking minutes per mile?
No, only one time is given for each participant. The other numbers are their speeds for each leg of the triathlon.

Dustinsfl said:
Avg speed per mile?
?
A number in the table represents that person's speed for a particular leg of the event. For example, the 10 in the upper left corner means that Amanda's speed (average) for the running portion was 10 mph.

Strange. I was able to get the answer after typing in matrices A (consisting of the coefficients on the left side) and B (consisting of the numbers on the right side) and calculating A-1B. Can you show us what you typed in as your matrices A and B?

This problem was also posted in the "Calculus and Beyond Homework" section. I am merging the two.

1. How do I set up a matrix for this word problem?

To set up a matrix for this word problem, you will need to identify the variables and constants in the problem and assign them to the appropriate rows and columns in the matrix. Then, use the given information to fill in the values for each variable. Make sure the matrix is in the correct dimensions, with the number of rows and columns matching the number of variables and equations in the word problem.

2. How do I solve a matrix word problem?

To solve a matrix word problem, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, inverse matrices, or Cramer's rule. Choose the method that best fits the given problem and follow the steps to solve for the variables in the matrix. Remember to check your answer by plugging the values back into the original equations.

3. What is the purpose of using a matrix to solve a word problem?

A matrix is a useful tool for solving word problems because it allows for the organization and manipulation of multiple equations and variables at once. It also helps to identify any inconsistencies or errors in the problem-solving process.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a matrix word problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a matrix word problem. Many scientific, graphing, and programmable calculators have built-in matrix functions that can perform the necessary calculations. However, it is essential to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving matrix word problems before relying solely on a calculator.

5. Are there any tips for solving matrix word problems more efficiently?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving matrix word problems more efficiently: 1) Clearly label and organize the variables and equations in the matrix. 2) Use the appropriate method for solving the specific type of matrix problem. 3) Double-check your calculations and solution for accuracy. 4) Practice solving various types of matrix word problems to improve your skills.