Solving Mesh Analysis Equations for i1, i2 and i3

In summary, the conversation discusses using mesh analysis to determine i1, i2, and i3. The equations used are -6 + 2(i1 - i3) + 4(i2 - i3) + 8i2 = 0 and 2(i3 - i1) + 2i3 + 4(i3 - i2) = 0, as well as the correct formula for the last equation, i1 - i2 = 3. The speaker realizes their mistake and thanks the expert for pointing it out.
vs55

Homework Statement

Use mesh analysis to determine i1,i2 and i3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

using mesh analysis i get rid of the 3A current source and the 1ohm resistor
1) -6 + 2(i1 - i3) + 4(i2 - i3) + 8i2 = 0
2) 2(i3 -i1) + 2i3 + 4(i3 - i2) =0
3)i1 + i3 = 3

i'm not sure if i have the right equations set up. For the last equation i also used
i1 + i3 = 3 +i2 to try and solve but the answer was still wrong
i have no idea what i have wrong

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
your last equation is wrong. It must be i1-i2=3 .
The current at a branch is equal to the algebraic sum of the relevant mesh currents.

dam can't believe i messed up that simple formula thx

What is Mesh Analysis and why is it used?

Mesh Analysis is a method used to solve for unknown currents in a circuit using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. It is used to simplify complex circuits and determine the flow of current through each branch of the circuit.

What are the steps for solving Mesh Analysis equations?

The steps for solving Mesh Analysis equations are:1. Identify and label each mesh in the circuit.2. Assign a current variable to each mesh.3. Apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to each mesh, setting the sum of voltage drops equal to the voltage source.4. Write equations for each mesh using Ohm's Law and the current variables.5. Solve the system of equations to find the values of the unknown currents.

What is the difference between Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis?

Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis are two different methods used to solve for unknown currents in a circuit. While Mesh Analysis uses Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Ohm's Law to find current values in each mesh, Nodal Analysis uses Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to find current values at each node in the circuit.

Can Mesh Analysis be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, Mesh Analysis can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. In these cases, the sum of voltage drops in each mesh should be equal to the sum of voltage sources in that mesh.

Are there any limitations to using Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis may become more complicated and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of meshes. Additionally, Mesh Analysis assumes that all the elements in the circuit are linear, which may not be the case in certain circuits.