Solving Multivariable Limit: Does it Exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of a function using different approaches. The first approach shows that the limit does not exist by considering two lines approaching the origin. The second approach uses polar coordinates and shows that the limit is dependent on theta, therefore approaching the origin from different angles gives different limits and the limit does not exist. The third approach discusses the limit of a different function to demonstrate the importance of carefully considering the problem before attempting to prove it.
Petrus
Hello MHB,

\(\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y)->(0,0)} \frac{6x^3y}{2x^4+x^4}\)
I did easy solve that the limit do not exist by \(\displaystyle (0,t)=0\), \(\displaystyle (t,0)=0\), \(\displaystyle (t,t)=\frac{6}{3}\)
but I wanted Also to solve this by polar cordinate so we got
\(\displaystyle \lim_{r->0}\frac{6\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)}{2\cos(\theta)+ \sin(\theta)}\)
so My question is what can I say to show this limit Will never exist.
My argument: the top Will never be same for \(\displaystyle \theta\) and bottom Will never be equal to zero. So the limit does not exist and this does not sound like a argument for me..

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,

\(\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y)->(0,0)} \frac{6x^3y}{2x^4+x^4}\)
I did easy solve that the limit do not exist by \(\displaystyle (0,t)=0\), \(\displaystyle (t,0)=0\), \(\displaystyle (t,t)=\frac{6}{3}\)
but I wanted Also to solve this by polar cordinate so we got
\(\displaystyle \lim_{r->0}\frac{6\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)}{2\cos(\theta)+ \sin(\theta)}\)
so My question is what can I say to show this limit Will never exist.
My argument: the top Will never be same for \(\displaystyle \theta\) and bottom Will never be equal to zero. So the limit does not exist and this does not sound like a argument for me..

Regards,
Perhaps this will help: As r approaches 0, theta will become undefined.

-Dan

topsquark said:

-Dan
Ofcourse that's true.. I see I Was only confusing myself.. I only need to argument for like \(\displaystyle \lim_{r->0}\frac{r\cos(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)+\sin(\theta)}\) that \(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)+cos(\theta) \neq 0\) while this one is OBVIOUS that it Will not exist!
thanks For the help!

Regards,

topsquark said:

-Dan
Not really. As Petrus found, what we have is that

$$\lim_{r \to 0^+} \frac{6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{2 \cos^4 + \sin^4 \theta} = \frac{6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{2 \cos^4 + \sin^4 \theta},$$

since it is no longer dependent on $r$. The point is: this is now completely dependent on $\theta$. Therefore, taking $\theta = 0$ we get the zero answer while taking $\theta = \pi/4$ we get another nonzero answer. Hence the limit does not exist.

Petrus said:
Ofcourse that's true.. I see I Was only confusing myself.. I only need to argument for like \(\displaystyle \lim_{r->0}\frac{r\cos(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)+\sin(\theta)}\) that \(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)+cos(\theta) \neq 0\) while this one is OBVIOUS that it Will not exist!
thanks For the help!

Regards,
I do not follow your reasoning. Even though it will not exist, what does it have to do with the fact that $\sin \theta + \cos \theta \neq 0$? Do not forget the exponents. The transformation to polar coordinates is $x = r \cos \theta$ and $y = r \sin \theta$, consequently

$$\frac{6x^3 y}{2x^4 + y^4} = \frac{6(r \cos \theta)^3 (r \sin \theta}{2(r \cos \theta)^4 + (r \sin \theta)^4} = \frac{r^4 6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{r^4 (2 \cos^4 \theta + \sin^4 \theta)} = \frac{6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{2 \cos^4 \theta+\sin^4 \theta}.$$

In my humble opinion your first approach is best and less confusing: two lines approaching the origin give two different limits and therefore it does not exist. Polar coordinates can be deceiving. What do you think will be the limit of

$$\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2x^2y}{x^4 +y^2}?$$

Fantini said:
Not really. As Petrus found, what we have is that

$$\lim_{r \to 0^+} \frac{6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{2 \cos^4 + \sin^4 \theta} = \frac{6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{2 \cos^4 + \sin^4 \theta},$$

since it is no longer dependent on $r$. The point is: this is now completely dependent on $\theta$. Therefore, taking $\theta = 0$ we get the zero answer while taking $\theta = \pi/4$ we get another nonzero answer. Hence the limit does not exist. I do not follow your reasoning. Even though it will not exist, what does it have to do with the fact that $\sin \theta + \cos \theta \neq 0$? Do not forget the exponents. The transformation to polar coordinates is $x = r \cos \theta$ and $y = r \sin \theta$, consequently

$$\frac{6x^3 y}{2x^4 + y^4} = \frac{6(r \cos \theta)^3 (r \sin \theta}{2(r \cos \theta)^4 + (r \sin \theta)^4} = \frac{r^4 6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{r^4 (2 \cos^4 \theta + \sin^4 \theta)} = \frac{6 \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta}{2 \cos^4 \theta+\sin^4 \theta}.$$

In my humble opinion your first approach is best and less confusing: two lines approaching the origin give two different limits and therefore it does not exist. Polar coordinates can be deceiving. What do you think will be the limit of

$$\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{2x^2y}{x^4 +y^2}?$$
Hello,
after some simplify I get
\(\displaystyle \lim_{r->0}\frac{2r\cos(\theta)\sin( \theta)}{r^2\cos^2(\theta)+\sin^2(\theta)}\)
the top Will always go to zero but the bottom Will go to zero if \(\displaystyle \theta=0\) so the limit does not exist?

Regards,

You can't think as the quantities varying independently. Regardless of what the bottom goes, the whole fraction tends to zero. Considering the case $\theta = 0$ is simply saying $y=0$, which is in agreeing with the limit we have calculated.

However, consider the curve $y=x^2$. Approaching the origin with this gives us

$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{2x^2 (x^2)}{x^4 + (x^2)^2} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{2x^4}{2x^4} = 1.$$

Even though we have found the limit as zero when considering all straight lines through the origin, as we considered a parabola we've found a different value. Therefore, the limit does not exist.

This is a good example to illustrate two things: first, it is not enough to consider all straight lines; second, polar coordinates can deceive us. :)

Cheers!

I just find something intressting I think..
2cfxtld.jpg

When I calculate it and facit in My book says does not exist while WA says it should be zero..?

Regards,

Petrus said:
I just find something intressting I think..

When I calculate it and facit in My book says does not exist while WA says it should be zero..?

Regards,

Shows that W|A is a very helpful calculator.
As far as straight forward calculations go, you can trust it blindly.
But where special cases are concerned, you'd better be careful...

Related to Solving Multivariable Limit: Does it Exist?

1. What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function with multiple variables as those variables approach a specific point. It is used to determine if a function approaches a certain value or becomes undefined as the variables get closer to the given point.

2. How do you solve a multivariable limit?

To solve a multivariable limit, you need to evaluate the function at the given point and also approach the point from different paths. If the value of the function at the given point is the same regardless of the path taken, then the limit exists. If the function approaches different values depending on the path, then the limit does not exist.

3. What are the conditions for the existence of a multivariable limit?

The existence of a multivariable limit depends on two primary conditions: the function must be defined at the given point, and the value of the function must approach the same value regardless of the path taken. If both conditions are met, then the limit exists.

4. Why is it important to solve multivariable limits?

Solving multivariable limits is essential in many areas of mathematics and science. It helps us understand the behavior of complex functions, and it is crucial in optimization problems, where we need to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some common methods for solving multivariable limits?

There are various methods for solving multivariable limits, including direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and L'Hôpital's rule. The method used will depend on the complexity of the function and the given point. It is essential to practice and understand these methods to be able to solve multivariable limits accurately.