Solving Ratio Word Problem: ~36 Brand Y Refrigerators

In summary, the appliance store sells only two brands of refrigerators and the ratio of the number of Brand X refrigerators sold to the number of Brand Y refrigerators sold is about 4 to 11. For every 4 Brand X refrigerators, there are 11 Brand Y refrigerators sold. The sum of the two variables is 100.
homegrown898
An appliance store sells only two brands of refigerator. The ratio of the number of brand X refigerators sold at this store to the number of Brand Y refigerators sold is about 4 to 11. Of the next 100 refigerators the store sells, approximately how many will be brand Y?

I don't know how to start this one.

I wrote 100 = 4x + 11y

However, I don't know how to solve a two variable equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a perfectly sound 2 variable problem.U'll just to translate into equations whatever data the problem gives you.

So if "x" and "y" are the 2 variables which denote the # of refrigerators sold,what are the 2 relations between them that the problem gives...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It is a perfectly sound 2 variable problem.U'll just to translate into equations whatever data the problem gives you.

So if "x" and "y" are the 2 variables which denote the # of refrigerators sold,what are the 2 relations between them that the problem gives...?

Daniel.

That for every 4 of the X Brand, there are 11 of the Y Brand sold?

That's one of them,of course.In elegant mathematical notation
[tex] \frac{x}{y}=\frac{4}{11} [/tex]

What's the other (obvious one) ...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
That's one of them,of course.In elegant mathematical notation
[tex] \frac{x}{y}=\frac{4}{11} [/tex]

What's the other (obvious one) ...?

Daniel.

That in 100 refigerators are sold between the two?

Or with the problem you gave me I cross multiplied which gave me 4y = 11x

I'm not so sure. :frown:

The problem says and i quote:"The ratio of the number of brand X refigerators sold at this store to the number of Brand Y refigerators sold is about 4 to 11".How would you transcribe that in math language...?

And yes,the sum is 100:
[tex] x+y=100 [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The problem says and i quote:"The ratio of the number of brand X refigerators sold at this store to the number of Brand Y refigerators sold is about 4 to 11".How would you transcribe that in math language...?

And yes,the sum is 100:
[tex] x+y=100 [/tex]

Daniel.

I would say that for every 4 brand X refigerators, there are 11 Brand Y refigerators sold.

Yes,which is described in the ratio that i wrote.

Daniel.

Related to Solving Ratio Word Problem: ~36 Brand Y Refrigerators

1. How do I determine the ratio of Brand Y refrigerators to other brands?

The ratio of Brand Y refrigerators to other brands can be determined by dividing the number of Brand Y refrigerators by the total number of refrigerators.

2. Can I use a different unit of measurement for the ratio?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as it is consistent for both the numerator and denominator. For example, you can use the ratio of Brand Y refrigerators to total refrigerators in terms of percentage.

3. How can I use the ratio to solve word problems?

Ratios can be used to compare quantities and find missing information in word problems. In the case of Brand Y refrigerators, you can use the ratio to find the number of refrigerators of other brands or the total number of refrigerators.

4. What if the ratio is not in simplified form?

If the ratio is not in simplified form, you can simplify it by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF). This will give you the simplest form of the ratio.

5. How can I check if my solution to the word problem is correct?

You can check your solution by using the ratio to compare the quantities given in the word problem. The ratio should be consistent with the given information. You can also do a quick calculation to double-check your answer.