Solving Rotational Motion: Coin Rolling Up Inclined Plane

In summary, the question is asking for the distance a coin with radius R will roll up a plane inclined at 25 degrees with an initial angular velocity of 70 rad/s and rolling without slipping. The solution involves using Conservation of Angular Momentum and the triangle formula to find the height and distance traveled.
PinkDaisy
I'm having a problem with the following question:

A coin with radius R rolls up a plane which is inclined at an 25 degrees above the horizontal. The coin starts up the incline with an initial angular velocity of 70 rad/s and rolls in a straight line without slipping. How far will the coin roll up the incline?

I'm thinking that I need to use Conservation of Angular Momentum which would give me:

.5mv^2 + .5Iw^2 = mgh

then I manipulate to get h, plugging in .5mR^2 for I of the coin
h = (.5mv^2 + .5 (.5mR^2)w^2)/mg

I think that I then plug Rw in for v, which gives me the height that the coin rolled to, but then what next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then you apply the triangle formula to find the distance traveled up the incline since you know the inclination and 1 side of the triangle.

Your approach using Conservation of Angular Momentum is correct. To solve for the height, you need to substitute the values given in the problem and solve for h. The final equation should look like this:

h = (0.5 * m * (Rw)^2 + 0.5 * (0.5 * m * R^2) * (70 rad/s)^2) / (m * g)

Simplifying, you get:

h = (0.25 * m * R^2 * w^2 + 1225 * m * R^2) / (2 * m * g)

Canceling out m and R^2, the equation becomes:

h = (0.25 * w^2 + 1225) / (2 * g)

Substituting the values for w, g, and the given angle, you get:

h = (0.25 * (70 rad/s)^2 + 1225) / (2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * cos 25°)

Solving for h, you get:

h = 7.56 meters

Therefore, the coin will roll up the incline for a distance of 7.56 meters.

Related to Solving Rotational Motion: Coin Rolling Up Inclined Plane

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the rotational motion of the coin?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the rotational motion of the coin by changing the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the coin. As the angle increases, the force of gravity pulling the coin down the incline also increases, causing the coin to roll faster. Additionally, a steeper angle may cause the coin to roll in a more curved path instead of a straight line.

2. What factors contribute to the friction between the coin and the inclined plane?

Several factors can contribute to the friction between the coin and the inclined plane. The roughness of the surface, the weight of the coin, and the angle of the incline can all affect the amount of friction. Additionally, the type of material the inclined plane is made of can also impact the friction.

3. Is the mass of the coin a significant factor in its rotational motion?

Yes, the mass of the coin does play a role in its rotational motion. A heavier coin will have more inertia, making it harder to accelerate and change direction. This can affect the speed and path of the coin as it rolls up the inclined plane.

4. How does the shape of the coin affect its rotational motion?

The shape of the coin can impact its rotational motion in a few ways. A coin with a larger diameter will have a greater moment of inertia and will be harder to rotate, while a smaller diameter coin will have a lower moment of inertia and will be easier to rotate. Additionally, the shape of the coin can also affect its interaction with the inclined plane, potentially causing it to roll in a different path.

5. Can the rotational motion of the coin be accurately predicted using mathematical equations?

Yes, the rotational motion of the coin can be predicted using mathematical equations such as Newton's Second Law of Motion and the equations for torque and angular acceleration. However, these equations may not account for all variables and may only provide an approximation of the coin's motion.