Solving Second Order Diffy Q: Find k & Verify Solutions

In summary, the homework statement is trying to understand a problem they haven't had lecture yet. They are trying to find a second order solution to a diffy Q 4y'' = -25y equation. They found a second derivavite and put it back into the equation which led to the discovery of two solutions. They should also check for sin(5/2t), sin(-5/2t). If u is a solution, and v is a solution, then so is Au + Bv ... 2nd order ODE has two independent solutions, and their sum (multiplied by arbitrary constants A,B) is the general solution for the homogeneous case.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Hi,
I think this is called second order.So I'm working on a problem I haven't had lecture yet. I'm trying to understand.
Oh wait here is problem. Someone can help me understand this sort of problem in general.
For what values of k does the function y = coskt satisfy the diffy Q 4y'' = -25y?
a.) For those values of k, verify that every member of the family of functions y = Asinkt + Bcoskt is also a solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, Here is all I know. Which isn't much. I'm used to just doing the first order? The ones that you just mess with then integrate and wahla. So how exactly do I do this and how do I generalize it. Because the book said every second order of ( they give a form) can be represented this way.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
So far I found the second derivavite of y = cos(kt) which is -k^2(cos(kt)) I then put this back into my equation

4(-k^2(cos(kt)) = -25cos(kt) Not sure why I did that but I did.

Just drop in "cos kt" into the ODE and see what conditions have to be true ... in this case you will get a quadratic in k; solve the quadratic for k.

Right ... now divide thru by cos(kt) leaving -4k^2 = -25 which is a very simple quadratic equation:
k = +/- 5/2.

OK followed. So for
a.) For those values of k, verify that every member of the family of functions y = Asinkt + Bcoskt is also a solution.

I would maybe just put in my k values. What is A and B just constants? So will I want to solve for. I really have 0 concept of what is going on here lol.

If k=+5/2 is a solution (test it!), and k=-5/2 is a solution (test it!), then you have two solutions:
cos(5/2t) and cos(-5/2t). You should also check for sin(5/2t), sin(-5/2t).

but if u is a solution, and v is a solution, then so is Au + Bv ... 2nd order ODE has two independent solutions, and their sum (multiplied by arbitrary constants A,B) is the general solution for the homogeneous case.

So the general process for an ODE of order n is to find n independent solutions, then multiply each by an arbitrary constant, and sum them all up ... that is the general solution ... you can then apply the boundary conditions provided which will determine the values of A,B, ... for that case.

There is actually a theory which describes all of this which you will study if you take an advanced course in differential equations - but in the introduction the goal is to learn how to solve them.

1. How do you solve a second-order differential equation?

To solve a second-order differential equation, you need to follow these steps:

• Step 1: Rewrite the equation in standard form, with the second derivative isolated on one side.
  • Step 2: Determine the general solution by finding the roots of the characteristic equation.
  • Step 3: Use the initial conditions to find the values of the constants in the general solution.
  • Step 4: Verify the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

2. What is the characteristic equation?

The characteristic equation is a polynomial equation that is obtained by substituting the form of the general solution into the original differential equation. It has the form of r2 + br + c = 0, where r is the variable and b and c are coefficients.

3. How do I find the roots of the characteristic equation?

The roots of the characteristic equation can be found by using the quadratic formula: r = (-b ± √(b2 - 4ac)) / 2a. These roots will help you determine the form of the general solution.

4. What are initial conditions?

Initial conditions are the values given in the problem that allow you to find the specific solution to the differential equation. They usually consist of the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point.

5. How do I verify the solution to a second-order differential equation?

To verify the solution, you need to substitute it back into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. This means that when you plug in the solution, both sides of the equation should be equal.