Solving Shifted Infinite Well: A&B Coefficients

In summary, the usual solution to the Schrodinger equation with potential V(x) is \psi=Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx). However, when the coordination is shifted, namely: V(x)=0,\frac{ -a}{4}<x<\frac{3a}{4}the solution becomes:\psi=Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx)but the cos term cannot be eliminated. To solve for k, use the other boundary condition and solve for B: \psi(\frac{-a}{4})=Asin(k\frac{-a}{4})+Bcos(k\frac
E92M3
I can solve the infinite will with length a. But what happens when the coordination is shifted, namely:
[tex]V(x)=0,\frac{ -a}{4}<x<\frac{3a}{4}[/tex]

I use the usual solution:
[tex]\psi=Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx)[/tex]
Now when I apply the first boundary condition:
[tex]\psi(\frac{ -a}{4})=\psi(\frac{3a}{4})=0[/tex]
I can't get rid of one of the terms (namely the B=0 like when the well was defined from 0 to a).
I know that A will be the same as if the well was defined from 0 to a and I can get k by applying the other boundary condition, but I can't do anything if I can't get rid of the cos term.

Physics news on Phys.org
If psi(x) is a solution to the Schrodinger equation with potential V(x), then psi(x-b) is a solution to the Schrodinger equation with potential V(x-b). So all you need to do is shift the solution you have by the correct amount.

You can also do it your way. Use psi(-a/4)=0 to solve for B in terms of A. Plug this into psi(3a/4)=0; every term will have an A in it, so cancel out A, since you know it isn't zero. Now you have an equation whose only unknown is k. You should be able to show that the solutions are k = pi n/a, where n=1,2,3,...

This is not working too well either.
Solving for B:
[tex]\psi(\frac{-a}{4})=Asin(k\frac{-a}{4})+Bcos(k\frac{-a}{4})=0[/tex]
[tex]B=\frac{-Asin(k\frac{-a}{4})}{cos(k\frac{-a}{4})}=\frac{Asin(k\frac{a}{4})}{cos(k\frac{a}{4})}[/tex]
Then:
[tex]\psi(\frac{3a}{4})=Asin(k\frac{3a}{4})+\frac{Asin(k\frac{a}{4})}{cos(k\frac{a}{4})}cos(k\frac{3a}{4})=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{sin(\frac{3ak}{4})}{cos(\frac{3ak}{4})}+\frac{sin(\frac{ak}{4})}{cos(\frac{ak}{4})}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{sin(\frac{3ak}{4})cos(\frac{ak}{4})+cos(\frac{3ak}{4})sin(\frac{ak}{4})}{cos(\frac{3ak}{4})cos(\frac{ak}{4})}=0[/tex]
[tex]sin(\frac{3ak}{4})cos(\frac{ak}{4})+cos(\frac{3ak}{4})sin(\frac{ak}{4})=0[/tex]
[tex]sin(\frac{3ak}{4}+\frac{ak}{4})=sin(ak)=0[/tex]
Then I indeed recover:
[tex]k=\frac{n\pi}{a}[/tex]
Plugging it back in:
[tex]\psi(x)=Asin(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)+Bcos(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)[/tex]
This is not what I expected and I am quite sure that it is wrong since if I plug in the limits, psi is non-zero at the end points.Further more, this should be just the same as the infinite well with length a shifted over. So shouldn't the solution be the same but with a phase constant added? Namely:
[tex]\psi=Asin(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)\rightarrow\psi=Asin(\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4}))[/tex]
I think that this is the answer, but that's kind of cheating since it is reverse engineered from another infinite well. I can't figure out why I can't do it top down.

Last edited:

Related to Solving Shifted Infinite Well: A&B Coefficients

1. What is a shifted infinite well?

A shifted infinite well is a concept in physics where a particle is confined to a potential energy well that has boundaries at infinity. The well is shifted, meaning that the bottom of the well is not at the origin but at a specific position, causing the potential energy to increase at a linear rate as the particle moves away from the origin.

2. Why is it important to solve the A&B coefficients in a shifted infinite well?

The A&B coefficients represent the probability amplitudes for a particle to be in specific energy states within the shifted infinite well. By solving for these coefficients, we can determine the energy levels and corresponding wave functions for a particle in this system, providing valuable insights into its behavior and properties.

3. How do you solve for the A&B coefficients in a shifted infinite well?

The A&B coefficients can be solved using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. By applying the boundary conditions and solving the resulting differential equations, we can determine the A&B coefficients for a specific energy state.

4. Can the A&B coefficients change for different shifted infinite wells?

Yes, the A&B coefficients can change for different shifted infinite wells since the position of the potential energy well affects the overall shape and behavior of the wave function. This results in different energy levels and corresponding A&B coefficients for each well.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving the A&B coefficients in a shifted infinite well?

Solving for the A&B coefficients in a shifted infinite well has various applications in the field of quantum mechanics, including studying the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice, understanding the properties of semiconductor materials, and developing quantum computing technologies. It also has implications in other areas such as nuclear physics, solid-state physics, and quantum optics.