Solving First Order ODEs: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes
In summary: I guess that's why they are harder. I feel with nth orders and systems of eqs there is a wide variety of well defined methods to solve a wide class of problems. It becomes systematic after second orders, i.e variation, undetermined, laplace, etc.First orders slipped my mind pretty hard. I guess that's why they are harder.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Couple of ODE's I'm having trouble with, a bit rusty. They're all first orders.

(1) y' - y = -y3
(2) http://gyazo.com/4a83c6f72c552d1679b9bf95f644599c

Homework Equations

Substitution, integrating factors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to go about solving the first one, integrating factors don't work, separation is obviously not happening. I highly doubt that advanced methods like the method of successive approximations is needed. Any pointers on this one would be nice.

The second one is tricky, I'm trying to turn it into a homogeneous equation so I can make the substitution v = y/x and go from there. I'm just having a bit of trouble putting it in the required form. I tried dividing by a few things like xy, x, etc, but to no avail.

Why are first orders harder than nth orders...

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Couple of ODE's I'm having trouble with, a bit rusty. They're all first orders.

(1) y' - y = -y3
(2) http://gyazo.com/4a83c6f72c552d1679b9bf95f644599c

Homework Equations

Substitution, integrating factors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to go about solving the first one, integrating factors don't work, separation is obviously not happening. I highly doubt that advanced methods like the method of successive approximations is needed. Any pointers on this one would be nice.

The second one is tricky, I'm trying to turn it into a homogeneous equation so I can make the substitution v = y/x and go from there. I'm just having a bit of trouble putting it in the required form. I tried dividing by a few things like xy, x, etc, but to no avail.

Why are first orders harder than nth orders...

Start with the first one. Why do you think separation isn't happening. It's happening for me.

Dick said:
Start with the first one. Why do you think separation isn't happening. It's happening for me.

Wow, that's what I get for being sloppy. Just added y to both sides then divided through. Easy stuff. Simple partial fraction afterwards.

The second one though?

Zondrina said:
Wow, that's what I get for being sloppy. Just added y to both sides then divided through. Easy stuff. Simple partial fraction afterwards.

The second one though?

You are missing the easy stuff. The right side is a function of y/x. Maybe try the substitution z=y/x.

Dick said:
You are missing the easy stuff. The right side is a function of y/x. Maybe try the substitution z=y/x.

I realized I could separate it into :

[itex] 1 + \frac{y}{x} + (\frac{y}{x})^{2}[/itex]

The rest is... straightforward to say the least.

Thank you very much for the refresher, sometimes the easiest things are also easy to forget.

Zondrina said:
I realized I could separate it into :

[itex] 1 + \frac{y}{x} + (\frac{y}{x})^{2}[/itex]

The rest is... straightforward to say the least.

Thank you very much for the refresher, sometimes the easiest things are also easy to forget.

No problem. Actually nth orderers are much harder. It just seems that way because they are so much harder they are usually stuck with giving easier examples.

Dick said:
No problem. Actually nth orderers are much harder. It just seems that way because they are so much harder they are usually stuck with giving easier examples.

I feel with nth orders and systems of eqs there is a wide variety of well defined methods to solve a wide class of problems. It becomes systematic after second orders, i.e variation, undetermined, laplace, etc.

First orders slipped my mind pretty hard.

1. What are some general tips for solving first order ODEs?

Some general tips for solving first order ODEs include identifying the type of ODE (separable, exact, linear, etc.), using appropriate substitutions, and checking for integrating factors.

2. How do I determine which method to use for solving a first order ODE?

The method used for solving a first order ODE depends on the type of ODE and its specific characteristics. For example, if the ODE is separable, then the separation of variables method can be used. If the ODE is exact, then the integrating factor method can be used.

3. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving first order ODEs more quickly?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and tricks that can help with solving first order ODEs more efficiently. These include using substitution methods, such as the substitution u = y/x, and using known solutions to similar ODEs.

4. How can I check if my solution to a first order ODE is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a solution to a first order ODE is to substitute it back into the original ODE and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can compare your solution to known solutions or use a computer program to verify your solution.

5. Can first order ODEs be solved analytically?

Yes, first order ODEs can be solved analytically using various methods, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution methods. However, there are some ODEs that do not have analytical solutions and require numerical methods to approximate a solution.