Solving Tension in a Cable Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the tension 'T' and solving a question involving torque. The relevant equations for the problem are given as ƩFx=0, ƩFy=0, and τ=r x F. The attempt at a solution for question 17 involves setting the net sum of torques equal to zero, resulting in the equation TLsinθ - w(l/2cosθ)-w(Lcosθ)= 0. The other conditions for equilibrium are discussed, and the solution for question 18 is completed. The next step in solving the problem is to show the equations for ƩFx = 0 and ƩFy = 0, and to label the force
datphysics

Homework Statement

Im having trouble understanding how to find the tension 'T' and pretty much answering the question on the .jpg file i have attached

Homework Equations

ƩFx=0, ƩFy=0, τ=r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 17 i have:
TLsinθ - w(l/2cosθ)-w(Lcosθ)= 0 (*because net sum of torques =0*)

And for question 18 i have no attempts at the question haha.

Help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• question 17,18..jpg
    question 17,18..jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
datphysics said:
For question 17 i have:
TLsinθ - w(l/2cosθ)-w(Lcosθ)= 0 (*because net sum of torques =0*)
Good. That will give you the tension. What about the other conditions for equilibrium?

Umm i have no idea what are the other conditions of an equilibrium are..

datphysics said:
Umm i have no idea what are the other conditions of an equilibrium are..
You posted them under "Relevant Equations". :smile:

Sorry for the delayed reply but i have completed number 18 but have not completed 17 (been doing other topics, anyways back this topic).

The next part should be: (But I am not sure how haha)
3.TLsin60-3/2WLcos60 = 0

Last edited:
datphysics said:
Sorry for the delayed reply but i have completed number 18 but have not completed 17 (been doing other topics, anyways back this topic).

The next part should be: (But I am not sure how haha)
3.TLsin60-3/2WLcos60 = 0
Show your equations for ƩFx = 0 and ƩFy = 0.

Hint: Label the force components exerted by the pivot as Px & Py. You'll solve for those components, of course.

Related to Solving Tension in a Cable Homework

1. How do you calculate the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable can be calculated using the formula T = (W x L) / 2, where T is the tension in the cable, W is the weight of the object being supported by the cable, and L is the length of the cable.

2. What factors affect the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable is affected by the weight of the object being supported, the length and angle of the cable, and the strength and elasticity of the cable material. External forces, such as wind or other objects, can also impact the tension in a cable.

3. How can I solve for the tension in a cable with multiple objects?

To solve for the tension in a cable with multiple objects, you can use the principle of equilibrium. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the objects must be equal to zero. By setting up and solving equations for each object, you can determine the tension in the cable.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving for tension in a cable?

Some common mistakes when solving for tension in a cable include not considering the weight of the cable itself, assuming the angle of the cable is 90 degrees when it is not, and not accounting for external forces acting on the cable. It is important to carefully assess all factors and use the correct formulas to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can the tension in a cable ever be greater than the weight of the object it is supporting?

No, the tension in a cable cannot be greater than the weight of the object it is supporting. If the tension were to exceed the weight of the object, the cable would break. However, the tension can be increased by adding more weight to the object or by increasing the angle of the cable.