Solving the Integral of x^log(x): How to Approach?

• Thread starter foo_daemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a complex integral from 0 to infinity. The speaker has simplified the function and attempted to integrate it using different methods, but has not been successful. They are seeking advice on how to approach the problem, and another person suggests using substitution and completing the square to solve it.
foo_daemon
Hi,

I need to solve the following integral from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] :
Please note that my professor has defined [tex] log(x) = ln(x) [/tex] , i.e. 10 is not the default base.

[tex]\int { e^{\frac{-log(x)^2}{2} } dx }[/tex]

Through 'simplification' ( [tex] e^{log(x)} = x [/tex] ), I have translated the function to:
[tex] \int { x^{ \frac{-log(x)}{2} } dx } [/tex] , which appears easier to integrate.

However, I am uncertain where to go from here (or if this is even the right direction). Obviously the formula [tex] \int { x^c } = \frac{x^{c+1}}{c+1}[/tex] doesn't work here, as c is not a constant.

I have tried using mathematica to see if I could reverse-engineer the integral, but the resulting 'error' function seems significantly complex and doesn't help.

I have tried substitution with it in the form [tex] \frac{ 1}{x^{\frac{log(x)}{2}} } [/tex] using [tex] u = \frac{log(x)}{2} \ \ du = \frac {1}{2x} dx [/tex] , which almost works, except that the problem then becomes [tex] \int {2 du^u } [/tex] , which seems quite odd.

Any hints for how to approach this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The exponential form is definitely the easier one. Substitute [itex]u= \log x/ \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then complete the square and use that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ax^2}=\sqrt{\pi/a}[/tex].

Related to Solving the Integral of x^log(x): How to Approach?

1. What is the formula for integrating x^log(x)?

The formula for integrating x^log(x) is ∫x^log(x) dx = (x^(log(x)+1))/(log(x)+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve for the integral of x^log(x)?

To solve for the integral of x^log(x), you can use the substitution method. Let u = log(x), then du/dx = 1/x, and dx = x du. Substituting these values into the original integral, we get ∫x^log(x) dx = ∫e^(u*ln(x)) * x du. This can be simplified to ∫x^(u+1) du, which can then be solved using the power rule.

3. Can the integral of x^log(x) be evaluated using basic integration techniques?

No, the integral of x^log(x) cannot be evaluated using basic integration techniques such as power rule or substitution. It requires the use of more advanced techniques such as integration by parts or logarithmic differentiation.

4. What is the domain and range of the function x^log(x)?

The domain of x^log(x) is (0,∞), as the logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers. The range of x^log(x) is (0,∞), as the exponential function always produces positive values.

5. Is there a graphical representation of the integral of x^log(x)?

Yes, the integral of x^log(x) can be graphed using a graphing calculator or software. The resulting graph is a curve that starts at the origin and increases towards infinity, with a vertical asymptote at x = 1. The curve approaches the x-axis but never touches it, as the function is always positive.