Solving the Integral of x^log(x): How to Approach?

  • Thread starter Thread starter foo_daemon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
foo_daemon
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I need to solve the following integral from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] :
Please note that my professor has defined [tex]log(x) = ln(x)[/tex] , i.e. 10 is not the default base.

[tex]\int { e^{\frac{-log(x)^2}{2} } dx }[/tex]

Through 'simplification' ( [tex]e^{log(x)} = x[/tex] ), I have translated the function to:
[tex]\int { x^{ \frac{-log(x)}{2} } dx }[/tex] , which appears easier to integrate.

However, I am uncertain where to go from here (or if this is even the right direction). Obviously the formula [tex]\int { x^c } = \frac{x^{c+1}}{c+1}[/tex] doesn't work here, as c is not a constant.

I have tried using mathematica to see if I could reverse-engineer the integral, but the resulting 'error' function seems significantly complex and doesn't help.

I have tried substitution with it in the form [tex]\frac{ 1}{x^{\frac{log(x)}{2}} }[/tex] using [tex]u = \frac{log(x)}{2} \ \ du = \frac {1}{2x} dx[/tex] , which almost works, except that the problem then becomes [tex]\int {2 du^u }[/tex] , which seems quite odd.

Any hints for how to approach this problem?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The exponential form is definitely the easier one. Substitute [itex]u= \log x/ \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then complete the square and use that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ax^2}=\sqrt{\pi/a}[/tex].