Solving the Mystery of Material Solids: Gage Blocks

• Thread starter wootman2300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solids
In summary: They have a positive nucleus and negative electrons that balance each other out, making it difficult for them to come into contact with other atoms. Additionally, the structure of atoms in solids makes them less reactive than gases, allowing them to maintain their distance from one another. Gage blocks, specifically steel ones, can be "rung" together because they are not magnetized, but this is not a common occurrence in other materials. Essentially, the lack of attractive forces between atoms in solids allows them to stay apart from one another.
wootman2300
I would like to know how material solids of exact composition stay apart from one another? Additional...Gage blocks (steel), while unmagnitized,can be "rung" together. I know that solids have structured atoms and are hard to compress and all that stuff...Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't know too much, but enough to know this would be better answered in the Chemistry section.

Basically my answer is, there's nothing attacting them to make them not stay apart. They are solids, so its at its lowest energy state, ingnoring Condensates etc... Not as much energy as say, gases, so it won't be able to react as easily. In those forms, the electrons react easier.

The only reason we don't fall through the ground is because the electrons on the atoms of our feet are opposed by the electrons on the ground. Negative charges reply negative charges, stopping us from unknown consequences.

Sorry If i wasnt very good.

wootman2300 said:
I would like to know how material solids of exact composition stay apart from one another? Additional...Gage blocks (steel), while unmagnitized,can be "rung" together. I know that solids have structured atoms and are hard to compress and all that stuff...Help!

You may want to read this:
http://www.cityreformed.org/snoke/hsbook/selection11.pdf

Also keep in mind that atoms are neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving the Mystery of Material Solids: Gage Blocks

What are gage blocks?

Gage blocks are precision measuring tools used in metrology to accurately measure the dimensions of various objects. They are typically made of hardened steel or ceramic and come in a set of different lengths that can be stacked together to create precise measurements.

How do gage blocks work?

Gage blocks work by using the principle of wringing, where two or more blocks are pressed together with a slight twisting motion, causing them to stick together and create a precise measurement. The blocks are also designed with extremely flat and parallel surfaces, allowing for accurate measurements to be taken.

What are some common uses for gage blocks?

Gage blocks are commonly used in manufacturing and machining industries for quality control purposes. They are also used in scientific research and development, as well as in calibration laboratories to calibrate other measuring tools.

How accurate are gage blocks?

Gage blocks are known for their high accuracy and precision, with some blocks having a measurement tolerance of only a few millionths of an inch. The accuracy of gage blocks can also be affected by temperature, so they are often stored in temperature-controlled environments.

How are gage blocks calibrated?

Gage blocks are typically calibrated using a precision measuring instrument called a comparator. The blocks are compared to known standard measurements and any differences are recorded and adjusted for. Regular calibration is important to ensure the accuracy of gage blocks over time.