Solving this equation: d(xy)/dx = a^xy

• Thread starter Rosnet
  • Start date
In summary: So we can differentiate with respect to that function. Now this is just a special case of the chain rule, and indeed the whole problem is just an application of the chain rule. Just like you might use many times in single variable calculus.In summary, two methods for solving the equation d(xy)/dx = a^xy were discussed. The first method involved multiplying both sides by a known derivative and using the chain rule to get the desired form for integration. The second method used the chain rule to flip the derivative and integrate. Both methods use the same ideas and can be seen as applications of the chain rule.
Rosnet
Can anyone suggest a method of solving this equation:

d(xy)/dx = a^xy (Where ^ means raised to the power)

Don't try a series solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have
[tex]\frac{d(xy)}{dx}=a^{xy}[/tex]
multiply both sided by a known derivative
[tex]\frac{d(a^{-xy})}{d(xy)} \ \frac{d(xy)}{dx}=a^{xy}\frac{d(a^{-xy})}{d(xy)}[/tex]
use the chain rule on the left the know derivative on the right
[tex]\frac{d(a^{-xy})}{dx}=a^{xy}a^{-xy}\frac{d(-xy)}{d(xy)}\log(a)[/tex]
simplify and integrate
[tex]a^{-xy}=\int -\log(a)dx[/tex]
you should be able to finish things up

Another perhaps simpler method
by the chain rule
[tex]\frac{du}{dv} \ \frac{dv}{du}=1[/tex]
so
[tex]\frac{dx}{d(xy)}=a^{-xy}[/tex]
write in differential form
[tex]dx=a^{-xy}d(xy)[/tex]
integrate
[tex]x+C=-\frac{a^{-xy}}{\log(a)}[/tex]
I hope your ambiguous a^xy
means a^(xy) not (a^x)y

Last edited:
@@a
wow~
how'd you think of those two methods?

asdf1 said:
@@a
wow~
how'd you think of those two methods?
They just spring to mind. They also use the same ideas.
For the first one I knew I wanted to multiply the right side by a^(-xy) to get a constant, but I wanted it in a form d(f)/d(xy) so that I could use the chain rule on the left, so d(a^(-xy))/d(xy) was a good choice.
For the second one using the chain rule to flip the derivative seemed to be helpful, since the right hand side has a simple multiplicative inverse, and is a function of xy that is easy to integrate (with respect xy).

Last edited:

how'd you take a derivative of two variables, is this multivariable calculus?

you have a really great mind~
@@a
when i first saw that problem, nothing sprang into my mind...

GCT said:

how'd you take a derivative of two variables, is this multivariable calculus?
It is just the chain rule of single variable calculus.
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{df}{du} \ \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
So we can differentiate with respect to xy or some other function of x. What ever function we use is u in the above. For example
[tex]\frac{d(\sin(xy))}{d(xy)}=\cos(xy)[/tex]
The xy can be treated as a variable. It might be easier to see when xy is written u=xy.
The equation you quote is only true of y that satisfy the differential equation, but it is easy to see its truth in those cases.
[tex]\frac{d(a^{-xy})}{dx}=-a^{-xy}\log(a)\frac{d(xy)}{dx}=-a^{xy}a^{-xy}\log(a)=-\log(a)[/tex]
where the given differential equation
has been used
I will do this once more, attempting to avoid writing derivatives that look strange. All three of these workings are essentially the same.
The given equation
[tex]\frac{d(xy)}{dx}=a^{ax}[/tex]
obvious algebra
[tex]a^{-xy}\frac{d(xy)}{dx}=1[/tex]
integrate
[tex]\int a^{-xy}\frac{d(xy)}{dx} \ dx=\int 1 \ dx[/tex]
performing the integration (the left can be easily seen substituting u=xy)
[tex]\frac{-1}{\log(a)}a^{-xy}=x+c[/tex]
now the same letting u=xy throughout
[tex]\frac{d(u)}{dx}=a^{u}[/tex]
obvious algebra
[tex]a^{-u}\frac{d(u)}{dx}=1[/tex]
integrate
[tex]\int a^{-u}\frac{d(u)}{dx} \ dx=\int 1 \ dx[/tex]
performing the integration
[tex]\frac{-1}{\log(a)}a^{-u}=x+c[/tex]

hmm, I thought that differentiating/integrating two dummy variables might be an issue, although I have only taken integral calculus and intro differential equations, skipped multivariable. Anyways, thanks for the details.

GCT said:
hmm, I thought that differentiating/integrating two dummy variables might be an issue, although I have only taken integral calculus and intro differential equations, skipped multivariable. Anyways, thanks for the details.
We need not think of it that way since y=y(x)
In other words xy is some function of x, not a function of x and y.

Related to Solving this equation: d(xy)/dx = a^xy

1. What does the equation d(xy)/dx = a^xy mean?

The equation d(xy)/dx = a^xy is a differential equation that represents the rate of change of a product of two variables (x and y) with respect to a third variable, x. The term a^xy is known as the "rate factor" and determines the relationship between the two variables.

2. How do you solve this equation?

This equation can be solved using separation of variables. This involves isolating the terms with x and y on opposite sides of the equation, then integrating both sides with respect to x. This will result in a solution involving x and y on one side and a constant on the other side.

3. Can this equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved analytically using the method of separation of variables. However, depending on the values of a, x, and y, the integration may result in a complex solution. In some cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate a solution.

4. What is the significance of the rate factor (a^xy) in this equation?

The rate factor, a^xy, determines the relationship between the two variables, x and y. For example, if a^xy is a constant, the equation represents exponential growth or decay. If a^xy is a function of x and y, the equation represents a more complex relationship between the two variables.

5. What are some practical applications of this type of equation?

This type of equation is commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and finance to model various processes involving two changing variables. For example, it can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and interest rates. It is also used in engineering to predict the behavior of systems with multiple variables.