Solving Tree Diagram Problem - Exam Missed

In summary, a tree diagram is a visual representation of a decision-making process or sequence of events. It is used to organize and analyze all possible outcomes of a situation, making it easier to identify the most likely or desirable outcome. To create a tree diagram, one must identify the main decision or event and then branch out to all possible outcomes while considering their probabilities. The purpose of using a tree diagram is to organize and visualize all possible outcomes of a situation, making it easier to evaluate the probabilities and make informed decisions. However, some common mistakes to avoid when using a tree diagram include not considering all possible outcomes, inaccurately calculating probabilities, and not accounting for all relevant factors. Additionally, a tree diagram can be used for a wide range of problems
justinbaker
ok so what am i doing wrong here? this was the only question i missed on my exam, and its driving me crazy...

stats.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
For (b) I'd have put (95+8-N)/100000 where N is the (unspecified) number of pet owners that are bitten by pets that are not their own and also bitten by their own pet.

I would have thought he would be after P(Bitten by own pet|Bitten) which would be 87/95

Sounds reasonable. But now I think the answer is 95/103.

As a scientist, it's important to approach problems with a systematic and analytical mindset. In this case, it seems like the issue may lie in your understanding of tree diagrams and how to apply them in problem-solving. I suggest reviewing the concept and practicing with different examples to ensure a solid understanding. Additionally, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor who can provide further clarification and feedback on your approach. Remember, making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process, and with persistence and effort, you can overcome any challenges. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and I'm sure you will do better on future exams.

What is a tree diagram and how is it used in problem solving?

A tree diagram is a visual representation of a decision-making process or sequence of events. It is used to organize and analyze all possible outcomes of a situation, making it easier to identify the most likely or desirable outcome.

How do I create a tree diagram to solve a problem?

To create a tree diagram, start by identifying the main decision or event and drawing a horizontal line to represent it. Then, draw lines branching out from the main line to represent different possible outcomes. Continue branching out until all possible outcomes have been accounted for. Label each branch with the probability or likelihood of that outcome occurring.

What is the purpose of using a tree diagram in problem solving?

The purpose of using a tree diagram is to organize and visualize all possible outcomes of a situation, making it easier to evaluate the probabilities and make informed decisions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a tree diagram to solve a problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a tree diagram include not considering all possible outcomes, not accurately calculating probabilities, and not accounting for all relevant factors. It is also important to double check the accuracy of the diagram and calculations to ensure correct results.

Can a tree diagram be used for any type of problem?

Yes, a tree diagram can be used for a wide range of problems and decision-making processes. It is particularly useful in situations where there are multiple possible outcomes and complex decision-making processes involved.