Solving Triangles. My answer fluctuates from the real answer

In summary, the author is having a problem with his solving triangles book, and he is looking for help. He is expressing the minutes in his calculator in a way that is not correct. He is looking for help from someone who knows more about the topic.
Tyler2358
Hey Guys. I'm having a bit of a problem with my solving triangles book. I'm finding the book really easy but there's this one thing that I keep getting wrong. Whenever I'm working with degrees with decimal points my answer aways fluctuates slightly from the real answer. I must be doing something wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

MathProblemJpg.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting 8.62. Can you show me your input into your calculator? How are you expressing the minutes for example?

Actually, I see what you've done. You expressed [itex]65^o5'[/itex] as 65.5 in your calculator. This is not correct!

[tex]65.5^o=65^o30'[/tex]

because [itex]0.5^o[/itex] is half of a degree, and that is equal to 30' since [itex]60'=1^o[/itex].

The opposite angle [itex]24^o55'[/itex] is NOT to be expressed as 24.55 in the calculator, but rather 24+55/60. Think about it in terms of time. The degree is the hour and the minute is the minute. What is 4 lots of 2 hours and 5 minutes equal to? Obviously it'll be 8 hours and 20 minutes. Let's check it though:

It's not 2.5*3 = 7.5, but rather 2 hours * 3 + 5/60 hours * 3 = 6 hours + 15/60 hours = 6 hours and 15 minutes.

This is what you want to put into your calculator:

[tex]\sin(65+5/60)*9.51[/tex]

if your calculator is expressed in degrees.

Mentallic said:
I'm getting 8.62. Can you show me your input into your calculator? How are you expressing the minutes for example?
I did think maybe I'm calculating the minutes wrong but for the life of me I couldn't find anything on the internet about it.
CalculatorJpg.jpg

Oh I see now. Thank you for helping me! Finally I've been stuck here for a while now.

You're welcome!

Also keep in mind that your calculator might also have a degrees, minutes and seconds button. You can use this button to easily express the degrees and minutes with [itex]65^o5^o[/itex] on the calculator, which would be equivalent to [itex]65^o5'=65+5/60[/itex]. Also, if you start using seconds too, then
[tex]65^o5^o20^o[/tex] on your calculator would be equivalent to [tex]65^o5'20''=65+5/60+20/60^2=65+5/60+20/3600[/tex]

Tyler2358 said:
I did think maybe I'm calculating the minutes wrong but for the life of me I couldn't find anything on the internet about it.

It's always going to be in the last place you look: :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_(angle)

Little details like that are what makes space probes fail to go into orbit around Mars.

Related to Solving Triangles. My answer fluctuates from the real answer

1. How do you determine the missing angles and sides of a triangle?

The missing angles and sides of a triangle can be determined using a variety of mathematical formulas and methods, such as the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric ratios, and the Law of Cosines and Law of Sines.

2. Can all triangles be solved using the same methods?

No, the methods used to solve a triangle depend on the information given about the triangle. For example, right triangles can be solved using the Pythagorean theorem, while oblique triangles require the use of trigonometric ratios and/or the Law of Cosines and Law of Sines.

3. What is the difference between an acute, obtuse, and right triangle?

An acute triangle has all angles measuring less than 90 degrees, while an obtuse triangle has one angle measuring more than 90 degrees. A right triangle has one angle measuring exactly 90 degrees, forming a 90 degree angle or "right" angle.

4. Can you solve a triangle with only knowing the lengths of the sides?

Yes, if you know the lengths of all three sides of a triangle, you can use the Law of Cosines to solve for the angles and then use trigonometric ratios to find the missing side lengths.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving triangles?

Yes, solving triangles is used in various fields such as construction, engineering, and navigation. For example, architects use triangle-solving methods to design structures, and pilots use them to determine flight paths and distances.