Solving Trig Equations In A Given Range

In summary, a trigonometric equation is an equation involving trigonometric functions and unknown variables, typically used to solve for the unknown variable within a given range. To solve such equations, one must isolate the trigonometric function and its angle, and use inverse functions or identities to simplify the equation. The unit circle is a useful tool for understanding trigonometric values, and can be used to find specific values within a given range when solving trigonometric equations. Common strategies for solving these equations include using the unit circle, inverse functions, identities, and algebraic techniques. It is important to specify a given range when solving trigonometric equations in order to narrow down the possible solutions and find the exact value of the unknown variable.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Solve cos(3θ) = 0.85 in the range 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cos(3θ) = 0.85

3θ = 31.79°

θ = 10.6° (3 s.f)

I have drawn my transformed cos curve, where the full wave completes after 120°, so there are 3 full cycles in my range.

I often make silly mistakes and I'm not sure of the best method to check my results.

Using the symmetry of the curve I have calculated that θ = 10.6°, 109.4°, 130.6°, 229.4°, 250.6°, 349.4°.

So, how do I verify these?

Physics news on Phys.org
For what quadrants is the cosine positive?

1 and 4

Which of your solutions meet this criteria?

Hi BOAS! :smile:
BOAS said:
cos(3θ) = 0.85

3θ = 31.79°

Easier if you write:

cos(3θ) = 0.85

3θ = 2nπ ± 31.79° :wink:

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions like sine, cosine, tangent, etc. and unknown variables. These equations are used to solve for the unknown variable within a given range.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation in a given range?

To solve a trigonometric equation in a given range, you first need to isolate the trigonometric function and its angle on one side of the equation. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions or identities to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable within the given range.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to solving trigonometric equations?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit and centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used to understand the values of trigonometric functions for different angles. When solving trigonometric equations, the unit circle can be used to find the values of the trigonometric functions for specific angles within the given range.

4. What are the common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using the unit circle, applying inverse trigonometric functions, using trigonometric identities, and simplifying the equation using algebraic techniques.

5. Why is it important to specify a given range when solving trigonometric equations?

Specifying a given range is important because it limits the possible solutions to the equation. Trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values after a certain interval. By specifying a range, we can narrow down the possible solutions and find the exact value of the unknown variable within that range.