Solving Wheel & Mass Problem - Brandon Seeking Help

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a problem involving torque and is seeking help. They initially tried using T=mg-mR\alpha^{2} but were unsuccessful. They also clarify that torque is not a force and request further guidance.
trojsi
Hi folks,
In a tutorial I was given this problem on which I've been trying to solve these last 2 day with non luck. The Problem is attached with a diagram. I tried to take the torque as being T=mg-mR[tex]\alpha^{2}[/tex] but it was all in vein. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Brandon

Attachments

• dynamics1.jpg
    dynamics1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly, mg is a force. What else do you need to convert this term into a torque?

the thing is that I need to derive an equation to the one given and explain the steps involved, I will try to upload a more clear copy of the question.

Yeah, youre right, I was mistaken, torque is not a force, sry. Any Clues please?

Hi Brandon,

I understand your frustration with this problem. It can be difficult to solve problems like this, but don't give up! Let's take a look at the information given and see if we can come up with a solution together.

First, let's define the variables in this problem. T represents the torque, m represents the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, R is the radius of the wheel, and alpha is the angular acceleration.

Now, let's think about what forces are acting on the system. We have the force of gravity pulling down on the mass, and we also have the force of the wheel pushing up on the mass. These forces are balanced when the system is in equilibrium.

To find the torque, we need to consider the distance from the pivot point (the center of the wheel) to where the forces are acting. The force of gravity acts at the center of mass of the object, which is a distance R/2 from the pivot point. The force of the wheel acts at a distance of R from the pivot point.

Using this information, we can set up an equation for the torque:

T = (m*g*(R/2)) - (m*R*alpha^2)

Now, we can plug in the values given in the problem and solve for alpha:

T = (2kg*9.8m/s^2*(0.1m/2)) - (2kg*0.1m*alpha^2)

T = 0.98Nm - 0.2kg*m*alpha^2

Solving for alpha, we get:

alpha = √(0.98Nm/0.2kg*m) = 2.21 rad/s^2

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Remember to always break down the problem into smaller parts and consider all the forces and distances involved. Good luck!

Related to Solving Wheel & Mass Problem - Brandon Seeking Help

What is the purpose of solving a wheel and mass problem?

The purpose of solving a wheel and mass problem is to determine the motion and forces involved in a system that includes a wheel and a mass. This is useful in understanding the principles of rotational motion and how it relates to real-world scenarios such as pulleys, gears, and other mechanical devices.

What information is needed to solve a wheel and mass problem?

To solve a wheel and mass problem, you will need to know the mass of the object, the radius of the wheel, and any other forces acting on the system. It is also helpful to have a diagram or visual representation of the problem to better understand the setup.

What is the equation used to solve a wheel and mass problem?

The equation used to solve a wheel and mass problem is Torque = Force x Radius. This equation represents the relationship between the force applied to the wheel and the resulting torque, or rotational force, on the wheel.

What are some common mistakes when solving a wheel and mass problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a wheel and mass problem include using the wrong units for mass or radius, not considering all the forces acting on the system, and not properly accounting for the direction of the forces. It is important to double-check all calculations and make sure all variables are correctly accounted for.

How can solving a wheel and mass problem be applied in real life?

Solving a wheel and mass problem has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and mechanics. It can be used to design and analyze pulley systems, determine the torque needed for a specific task, and understand the motion of rotating objects. It is also helpful in understanding the principles behind everyday objects, such as bicycles, car engines, and playground equipment.